First Bike for an Old Geezer

okdirtnewb

Nov 20, 2006
I am 42 years old and really wanting to get into trail riding. Looking at used WR250F or CRF250X. Was even considering the CRF230F. Any suggestions or other recommendations?

1) 6' 200 lbs
2) Mild until I gain confidence
3) Plan on riding wood mostly
4) Very limited experience
5) Don't intend on racing
6) Able to work on my own bike
7) Prefer 4-Stroke
8) Several local dealers Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki
9) Budget is $3-3500

Thanks for your help.

RevDice

Nov 16, 2006
Anxious to hear the feedback you get. I'm the same age with lots of street cruiser and sportbike experience. Haven't gotten dusty since I was a teenager. I'm also considering the CRF250x and lusting after a KTM 250 SX-F.

My local dealer told me that the CRF230F is a "family-fun" bike. He suggested that on any rougher stuff it would bottom out pretty quick. I'm about 5'8" and 170. He also suggested that it might be a bit underpowered on steep grades.

Hey remember, were 42 years young. Man, I still feel like a teenager. Looking forward to getting dirty.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The CRF250X (or WR) would be a really fun bike for you ... mellow (controllable power) but will will get you thru the woods plenty fast. If I was to buy a woods bike right now, it would be the X. I got to ride one in the woods at DirtWeek and had a complete blast.

Pass on the 230.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I'm in the "recommend something to inspire confidence instead of trepidation" category, myself. I'm a 49 y.o., 240 lb. former expert who returned to riding after 20 years. I am currently riding a a YZ125, but my first return to the woods was on an XR 100. For a while I was know as the "worlds fastest XR 100 rider." We have a CRF 150 currently that I can have a good time on in the woods.

I have ridden a CRF250X and it is a very, very nice bike. Others will suggest it, for very good reasons. I, however, think you will have an absolute blast honing your skills on something with a slightly lower seat height that requires very little maintenance.

I say buy a TTR 225 or CRF 230, use the extra $ you will save to buy a full set of the best riding gear you can find, and GO HAVE SOME FUN!!! You will get hooked, for sure, this way, and be able to shop for a more capable bike when you know more of what you like. :cool: :ride:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Having a slightly underpowered bike will teach you to use the clutch to keep the rev's up. I was able to make it up long, steep uphills, my first attempt, that others on on 250s & 450s didn't, on the XR 100.

Remember, it's not the size that matters, but how you use it!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
If I was you I would get a 2001 WR250F with an almost new Eric Gore/Rich Rohrich engine that has 262cc, Hot Cams (torques but still revs out good and runs on pump gas) with auto decompression, Kibblewhite valves, Dr. D S.S. exhaust, MotoMinder hour meter, BBR kick start lever, Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards, Works Connection glide plate and radiator supports, YZ seat and tank, not to mention a New Mexico street title. I would pay $2000 for it and I would ask the guy I bought it from to meet me halfway between my house in OK (if I was in OK) and his house in ABQ, I would pay for his gas and maybe buy him lunch. That's what I would do and I would also ask him to include the manual and the WR seat, Tank, and exhaust. That's what I would do because for $2000 I would practically be stealing a great bike like that. So I would do that if I could find a bike like that. I would. :blah: :) :ride:

RevDice

Nov 16, 2006

Good point SP... I was thinking of starting on a 125. Dealers keep walling me over to the 250's (could it be the dollars). That's why I'm scouring the boards here. Solid forum with great advice and insight.

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
Another excellent choice for the conditions would be a KDX 200 or 220. Brand new they are just higher than the price range you listed, are bullet proof and have the low end bark woods riding demands. Good for begginners with more than enough for you to "grow" into (I would bet you would ride that thing for years). It would also be cheaper to maintain overall then the new high tech fourstrokes. Just a thought for ya (although the 250 4T's are excellent bikes).

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
There is a lot to be said for a lightweight two-stroke! If you decide you must (ego takes over) have more, MORE (power, suspension, etc.,) this would be an excellent choice. I would like to have one of these "in the stable."

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
First off - this thread bothers me! 42 is not an old geezer ... because i'm 42.

Okie was right twice here: The CRF250X would be a great bike for you and so would the KDX. Either bike would need to have some slight suspension work (respring) since you are 200#. $$ wise you'll spend way less on the KDX but IMO the CRF250X is a fantastic bike and worth the extra $$.

Being as you are new to woods riding the KDX will serve you well and in a few years (you are only a geezer when you start thinking that you are) you can move up to the CRF250X or 450X.

... and there's nothing wrong with VD's 2001 WR250F either.

okdirtnewb

Nov 20, 2006
Wow! Thanks for all the valuable input.

Kelvin - No 42 is not old but I figured it would get everybody's attention quicker. I have a 9 yr old son and that's how old I feel sometimes!!! But are your saying I'm fat?

I'm sure VD's WR250F is fine but I think I might have a bead on an '05 closer to home. If the CRF250X is that much better I may have to keep looking.

K.D.X.

Dec 21, 2005
I Don't know if you already bought something but let me give you my 2 cents in this world of inflation. :) I'm a pretty big dude, 220'lbs at 6ft tall. My dirt riding skills are about nill though I've been riding street for many many years. I've been in the dirt just shy of 10 times in my 38 year old life. So with reading all of the differening opinions on bikes I just decided that price was my major concern. TO make a long story short, I finally decided on a CRF230. I took it out for the first time this Thanksgiving morning.
First, all of my dirt riding experience is on an old KDX250 that has gobbs of 2-stroke power. So I was a little aprehensive about getting the 230 because of lack of power as most people say on the forums. At worst, the 230 is not useless! At best, it's a fun bike that will only cost $3600 or less brand new depending on where you live, that will be a blast to learn on. Somehow when I go dirt riding, I always find my self starting out on the beginners trail but I end up on some hell trail where I start to go into survival mode, which was the case today. I was lost and alone, the bike and I were on a badly rutted trail that was very hilly and steep. I downed it. I got back up and a few minutes later I downed it again real hard this time. The bike was practically upside down yet it was still somewhat easy to lift up. When I did get the thing upright, the starter worked perfectly and it started right up.
After getting up the second time I realized the only way out of this hellhole was to go up this steep ass rutted trail the width of my truck tire. So 1st gear was beautiful all the way up to civilization. It pulled my heavy ass all the way up that hill.I spend the rest of the day just trying to get accustomed to the new bike. I got to a point where I was able to bring the front wheel off the ground in second gear. First gear is a love hate thing. You love the low end for the hill climb (or rescues as the case may be) but on level ground you're already needing to shift to 2nd before the clutch lever is let all the way out. I found 2nd gear to be a blast in the trails. I took it on a beginners track and it was nice. Keep in mind my 230 is bone stock, straight off the showroom floor.
If you're looking for a fun bike at an affordable price, te 230 is perfect! go for it!

Last edited:

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Old and Fat

Well after today's turkey feast etc. etc. etc..... I feel like a bloated tic.

I have no value to add to the previous posts other than if 42 is old and 215lbs is fat... -- then count me as such :laugh:

P.S. I like Honda best.... Have Fun! I have found after getting the drill down from alot of practice, a CRF 450X is not all that hard to pick up :nod:

Ken

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
As you can see, budget, experience & confidence all play an important role. If you are confident you will have plenty of time to ride, will advance your skills quickly, and $ is no present obstacle., go out and buy a 250 4 stroke "enduro." If time & place to ride, exp./ confidence, or budget are a consideration; Look at the 230's and the KDX's. There are a lot of Yamaha TT-R 230's on that auction site for $2,300 to 2,800.

Also, as I said earlier, there is a lot to be said for buying something more 'modest' now, and then getting to have the fun of shopping for a new bike, again, after gaining skills, knowledge, and confidence. Believe me, it is ALWAYS fun to buy a new bike!

K.D.X. wrote a VERY insightful post. Reread it and consider carefully the knowledge he is so generously sharing.

Most important, hurry up & decide so you can start riding! :cool: :ride:

okdirtnewb

Nov 20, 2006
Well I finally did it! I found an '05 TT-R230 at a local dealer that had only been ridden once. Still has the nipples on the tire tread. I sat on it and a CRF230F and the Yamaha just fit better. I pick it up tomorrow and will hopefully be able to get out this weekend before the wet weather moves in.

I'll let you know how the first ride goes. Thanks for all the input. I am sure I'll have more questions for you all later.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…