The Who

Aug 19, 2007
So I can finally afford to get a dirtbike and hopefully I can start racing down the road, just hung up on what to get. I've been told that a 125cc would help me learn to be more aggresive, but I've also been told that I would be too big for a 125cc, I should get a 250cc. :think:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'2", 180lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I would say very, I play paintball and I'm joining the Marines. But I haven't ridden a dirtbike yet, I messed around on a quad a couple of times though, in which I was very aggresive, going as fast as it would let me.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
I really want to race, but I know I'll need to learn how to ride/get decent first. Plus riding with my friends.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
None, unless a quad counts but I don't think they're related.
5) Do you think you will race ?
Thats my goal. :)
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes, I love tearing things down and rebuilding them, learning how everything works and how to improve it.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
My friends have sucked me into the 2Stroke cult, so if I get a 4Stroke they might disown me.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I don't know if I understand this question right, but I'm fairly certain that I have access to every brand of dirtbikes, I live in Vegas. But just to give an answer, the closest one to me is the Yamaha dealership.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
Money will not be an issue, although top of the line is prefered. For show off sake, haha.
10) Do you live in California?
No? I'm close though...wierd question I must be out of the loop.
11) Your age?
Going on nineteen.
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I'm really digging the KTM's, based on looks. Next in based on looks is Kawasaki, but no 125cc this year I heard? How come?

The Who

Aug 19, 2007
Anyone? I'm pretty set on the KTM, is there any reason I shouldn't get it? Also size, I'm seein more and more people say I would be too big for a 125cc, advise?

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Im not an expert on this, but one of my friends is 6'3" and around 140. I have a RM125 that I let him ride, and it had way more than enough power for him.

So, in my opinion, I think you should either get a stiff-shocked 125 or a 250. Wait for other replies first though, as I might be completely wrong =P

cr 85 6

Uhhh...
Jan 3, 2006
you say your an agressive rider so i think you would fit best on the 2stroke 125 because you can ride them very aggresivley the 4stroke is better to have a more smooth riding style ,and for a 125 i think ktm is the best choice because of the looks the quality parts the ktm's unique sound and the good handeling the only thing is the ktm suspension is quite harsh if your looking for a bike with good suspension i would go with the honda CRF 250 4stroke ive rode one and the suspension was very good but personley i prefer the 2STROKES PINNGERS 4 LIFE !!!!!!

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
For your size you will probably outgrow a 125 pretty quick.

But it will be a better bike to learn on, it doesnt have enough power to really get you in trouble and you can focus on learning how to ride.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
this is the dillema i ran into, when i was looking at a bike, i new a 125 would be fine and dandy to learn on, but i realized that sooner rather than later i would want bigger(im 6'2 155, ima skinny mofo), so i decided to chance it and learn on a 250, and its a lot of power to get used to, but if you learn fast and are physically coordinated, it shouldnt be a problem, (especially if you just stay off wide f@#$in open at first) so if you dont mind buying a bigger bike not too far down the road, get the 125, if not, get the 250

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The Who said:
So I can finally afford to get a dirtbike

And then later you said:

The Who said:
Money will not be an issue, although top of the line is prefered. For show off sake, haha.

Just win the lottery?

If you are buying new the bike will set you back around $7000. The gear you need to ride safely (helmet, boots, gloves, goggles, etc) will set you back around $500 or more. Gas cans, bike stands, spare parts, etc. will drain your wallet of a few $100 more. You will need some way of hauling this bike around, so tie downs, ramps, and a trailer if you don't already have a truck.

The Who said:
I've been told that a 125cc would help me learn to be more aggresive, but I've also been told that I would be too big for a 125cc, I should get a 250cc. :think:

On flat ground the 125 will move you along without any trouble at all. When it comes to the knarly hill climbs the 125 will require a bit more skill to keep the engine on its power band but it will carry you up the hill. When the 125 really sucks is when you hit the smooth power line road and your buddies on the 250s leave you in the dust as you have your 125 pinned in 6th gear.

I ride a YZ-125, my son (age 21) rides a YZ-250. Overall, he is a much better athlete than I am. Being 26 years younger helps him out a lot too! We ride the desert (not far from you) and except for the power line roads I don't have any trouble keeping up. There are some hills that he climbs that I fail but there are also some hills that I have made it up where he failed.

The bottom line is that you don't need a 250. If you buy a 250 your biggest problem (as a beginner) is going to be NOT twisting the throttle too far in a situation where it will get you into trouble.

On the other hand, if you think you want a 250, then buy one. You will never be out riding your 250 and thinking, "gee, I wish I had bought that 125 instead".

The Who said:
4) Do you have any riding experience?
None, unless a quad counts but I don't think they're related.

It does count. You know what the terrain looks like, have experience standing on the pegs, a little feel for what to expect out there. The big difference is that a quad can go slow and pick its way over obstacles. On a bike you need to maintain a certain minimum speed (or be very good!).

The Who said:
5) Do you think you will race ?
Thats my goal. :)

Then you should get a MX style bike, like the Yamaha YZ line.

The Who said:
] My friends have sucked me into the 2Stroke cult, so if I get a 4Stroke they might disown me.

The world is heading towards four stroke only. It used to be that the four strokes were the outsiders at the races and struggled to find a class that they fit in. Now days it is the 2-stroke that has become the minority. If you are serious about racing then you might want to check out some organizations that you might race with and see what they offer.

The Who said:
10) Do you live in California?
No? I'm close though...wierd question I must be out of the loop.

California has one of the strictest EPA requirements on off road vehicles. Since you are in Las Vegas I am sure that you will hear and/or see references to the "Green" or "Red" stickers.

IN California, all off road vehicles need to registered. Starting in 2003 California started encouraging the use of environmentally friendly engines by restricting the riding season of those vehicles that did not meet the EPA standards.

Older bikes were "grandfathered" in, so any bike 2002 and older and newer bikes that meet the standards get the preferred "green" sticker. All two strokes and most MX bikes (even the four strokes) don't meet the standard and they get assigned the "red" sticker.

As long as you are not a resident of California this shouldn't bother you. If you are planning on moving to California any time soon then you might want to conisder buying a bike that is green sticker eligible.

The Who said:
I'm really digging the KTM's, based on looks. Next in based on looks is Kawasaki, but no 125cc this year I heard? How come?

125 would be a two stroke. Two strokes are a dying breed....

As far as the brand, pick your favorite color!

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom