First bike?

Chizzholm

Aug 15, 2009
I'm looking to get a nice honda.
I'm 5'11 and weigh about 145lbs.
I'd like to do jumps and wheelies.
What is the difference between 2 and 4 stroke?
Is a 125cc good for me?
And yes, i've ridden dirtbikes before.

Dan_1989cr125

Apr 29, 2009
I might take some heat for this but IMO i feel that a crf250 would be better for wheelies and almost equal on jumps. In my experience the fourstroke MX bikes have more power in more places than the 2 strokes and pull wheelies with less effort. A four stroke doesn't have as much of a defined "hit" like a 2 stroke making them much easier to ride. Learning to get moving on a fourstroke is generally easier too. However a 2 stroke will be slightly lighter than a four and you might find them more manageable in the air.

I recommend sitting on a few different models and seeing what feels comfortable. Make sure you can touch the ground flat footed on whatever bike you choose. Be sure to check out the crf230 they are bullet proof easy to ride and a great height for a beginner rider. Feel free to email me with anymore questions. To any other posters feel free to correct me where i'm wrong.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Fill out the "sticky" on this forum. Its really hard to give advise to anyone unless we know age, experience, ect. What if the guy asking the question is 15 and has ridden a dirt bike for a total of 3 hours? I would hardly recommend a CRF250 to that rider.

Dan_1989cr125

Apr 29, 2009
I told him to find a bike he can sit and be flat footed on. If he is the proper height i think a crf250 would be a great bike for him. The crf250 was not my top recommendation i think a crf230 would be best. but do fill out the sticky it would probably help us help you more.

Chizzholm

Aug 15, 2009
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size? (5'11 - 145lbs)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? (3/10, 10 being most aggressive.)
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ? (woods+trails+fields)
4) Do you have any riding experience? ( sizes i've rode - 50cc, two 100ccs's. about 5-7 hours total. I'm a QUICK learner.)
5) Do you think you will race ? (nope)
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?(nope)
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? (2 stroke)
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? (yes but i plan to buy a used bike, as the bike shop is very pricey)
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? ($1500 - $2000)
10) Do you live in California? ( nope NS, Canada )
11) Your age? ( 14 in december )
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion ( nope )

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Hmmm...13 years old with 5-7 hours experience? Buy a 125 2 stroke of any major brand...I personally prefer Honda and Yamaha. I might also recommend an older generation 4 stroke as well, not a MX 4 stroke. If you are going to ride, you might want to scroll through these forums and learn the difference.

Chizzholm

Aug 15, 2009
K thank. What do you recommend,a cr125 or a kx125?

May 10, 2007
it really depends on the condition of the bikes. try to get the newest/cleanest bike avalible. when i say clean though dont just look at the plastic. look at the airfilter and the airbox. if they arent clean then chances are the person didnt bother maintaining the rest of the bike.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…