kaosind

Jul 19, 2004
i just got my first dirt bike a brand new 2003 yz 125 two stroke.
after riding around on it for 25 minutes i low sided it and broke my right hand ( i was not warned that the tires get very little traction on road). but on to my question in my few minutes of riding i noticed that it seems i was sold the wrong bike , i told them i wanted something to trail ride, but the way the bike is set up the power band seems that it will be totally unsuited for a trail bike. i was wondering if there is anything i can do to change the power band to make it more suited for trail riding and where it just doesn’t bring on all the power at once. i was wondering if Moose carbon fiber reeds would help if there are any products that would help me out please let me know because im totally new to this sport and as of now rather bummed with the bike i was sold.
thanks for your help

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yes it sounds like you were sold a bike that might not be the best solution for what you intend to do.

Nobody should HAVE to tell ya' that knobby tires don't stick great on the road, it's a DIRT bike.

Perhaps a exhaust change and flywheel weight will help as I doubt you really want to have any internal mods done just yet.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I rode a '75 CR125 in the woods for years. Even did quite a bit of hillclimbing on it. It can be done. I also learned alot about re-ringing a two stroke during that time of my life. :)

Ya might see if someone wants to trade ya for a KDX200. There isn't a whole lot to do to a 125 racebike to tame the power down. Cheap things to try include:

-flywheel weight
-timing
-jetting
-larger rear and/or smaller front sprocket

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Given your situation, an option I would consider would be to call up Eric Gorr, tell him what's going on, and see what he can do for you. I know one of his porting options is to create more bottom-end power at the expense of top-end, in order to make the machine more novice-friendly. In conjunction with a 144cc big-bore, this could make the machine significantly more suitable for trails.

Bottom line is that I think it's going to be quite difficult to significantly change the bike's power characteristics through low dollar modifications, although they can certainly help some. It's too bad that you have to go through this and I sympathize with your situation - if you communicated your needs to the salesman then it certainly sounds like they were just trying to clear out their old (03) inventory and didn't really care to consider your needs.

-Pace

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If the YZ 125 is brand new and you're laid up with a broken hand - sell the YZ 125 (good luck), do some research on good trail bikes, and get something that better suits the type of riding you want to do. Or look into doing a bike trade. A YZ 125 is a motocross bike for riding on the dirt and jumping. No matter how many mods you make, it'll never become as good a trail bike as a bike suited for trails.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
if you can't sell or trade the bike... which to me seems a bit extreme being as you've only given it 25 minutes to learn to ride... you should start by learning to ride it right in open and safe areas... prefferably a sand pit or something like that...

I ride a KDX200 pretty aggresively and one of my riding buddies who is a pretty decent rider keeps up with me on his '04 YZ125 (no substantial mods) without any problems....

I learned to trail ride on a KX125 and I never had any real problems (lots more clutch work tough).... but I was a pretty decent rider by the time I bought that bike...

You need to learn some riding skills before you try to test your bike and/or make the call about whether you got rooked...

I will admit that the YZ125 is not the best trailbike out there, but it is still very capable.... the changing gearing option someone up there lists is your cheapest/easiest option to help make the bike more trail friendly... go smaller in front and bigger in back and your powerband will kick in at slower, more controlable speeds for trails....

good luck on your next try..... and wear the right gear (helmet, gloves, boots, roost guard etc)

dcg9381

~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2004
If you think it doesn't have traction on the street, wait till you're sliding it around in the dirt.

Is this your first motorcycle? If so, I'm not one to recommend a 125 2-stroke to anyone... Mainly because you'll have issues with throttle control as a new rider.

What I would do - sell / trade it for a KDX 200, if you want to ride dirt.
It's much more mild in terms of power band, it's just as fast as the 125, and it doesn't get much better for trails if you're going to ride a 2-stroke. Other than that, look for a 250 4-stoke.

You can learn to ride it, you managed to stay on it for 25 minutes, which is more than I'd expect if you're a new rider. If you're going to change it to do trails, you'll want to add a heavy flywheel and probably gear it down (more teeth in rear, less teeth in front). 125s all have power bands - they're tuned for motorcross...

kaosind

Jul 19, 2004
thanks for the help

thanks for the input its been a big help, i think ill look around and see if i can find some one to trade with if not i guess ill stick it out with this bike at least until i find something else. im out till oct. so i got a while to learn more about bikes and look around. From what you guys wrote they where diffenetly trying to just clear out o3 stuff becuase i had origanaly went in there looking at a 250 4 stroke and i made it clear to the guy there i was not looking for something to race/jump and he talked me out of it and said it was not what i wanted he even said that the yz125 was a great first bike (needless to say my dads real pissed at the shop). im real bummed about my arm and the bike i have but im not going to let it discorage me from getting into dirtbiking.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Sorry to hear about your crashing

I think if you give the YZ a little time I bet you will find that you might actually like it.
Granted its not made for trail riding (nor is a KDX made for jumping and whoops) but it will more then handle it easily.
Not to mention when you really start getting into it you might want to do some jumps and thats when the YZ will really be a blast (start off small).
You cant beat doing a lil bit of Track and Trail its the best of both worlds.
Also keep in mind you probably would have just as easily crashed a KDX or any other trail bike on the pavement unless you have some time in the saddle.
Hope you heal up quick.

ScaldedDog

Damn Yankees
Sep 28, 2004
I started out riding a CRF 230F 4 stroke, it was cool to learn on but I grew out of it in 2 months and bought an 04 YZ 125, it was a night and day difference, I felt like I had to learn to ride again, after about 6 hours of riding the YZ I got used to the powerband and started to love it more and more. Not to mention you can jump these babies for days. As far as taming the powerband, change the sprockets like everyone has said, it's an easy fix to get the low end you'll need for the trails and you won't go zipping around as fast. The YZ is a more than capable trail bike, I ride mine on the trails all the time. You may want to adjust your jetting and run a good 2-stroke oil like Amsoil at 50:1 if you are just learning to ride in the woods, this way you can go slow without fouling your spark plugs. Try an NGK Iridium BR8EIX plug they are damn near impossible to foul.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
....I say keep the bike...if you sell it or trade down you're just gonna lose money, and end up with less of a bike....Keep it and get some more seat time...trust me, and 3months you'll be tearing though woods with that yz....you should be thankful that dealer didn't sell you a cr125...then you'd have something to be pissed about.....good luck with it....

kaosind

Jul 19, 2004
i got to finaly ride it and i love it! scares the hell out of me but thats half the fun im hooked its all i can think about at work now! hahahahaha

will-NOOB

Jul 17, 2004
yz

i have a yz 125 its my only bike and i can say that those people in that shop should of warned u that those 125s do not have a user friendly power band i have to litterally be ready for when the power kicks in on my yz cos it just pumps right into the red line on every gear very quick unffortunatly for u thats not what u need but i love it however if u gave it a little more riding u might find with patiance u can use the peeky like power to boost u out of anything

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I rode/raced a YZ 125 off road and in the woods, and there's nothing inherently wrong with them. Lots of guys woods race them around here, and the KTM 125 SX, too. However, if you leave it set up like a motocrosser, it'll break your other hand and your legs. You just have to make your bike more purpose-built. Since your hand is broken, you have time to get going on your project. Follow the bouncing ball...

1) How tall are you, and how much do you weigh? MX and trail/woods bikes have very different suspension setups. The good news is Yamaha makes good suspenders, and you'll be able to tweak it if you're under 180 lbs. If you're over 180, I'd agree that a new bike is in order.

2) Count the number of teeth on the front sprocket. Go buy another front sprocket with one tooth less. Should be less than $20. Your gearing will be spaced a little closer now, but 125 MX gearing is too gappy for technical trails. While both sprockets are new, I'd really recommend getting a good O-ring chain...it'll last years on that bike.

3) Check your tire pressure. 14 pounds each end is a good baseline. I've seen guys with 35 lbs in the front who complain when the front wheel washes out on dry corner.

4) Get a 9 oz Steahly flywheel weight (www.steahlyoffroad.com or someone who sells them). This will improve traction, put power into forward motion rather than wheelspin, reduce the tendency to stall, and make technical sections easier to grunt over.

5) Get a set of Boyesen Power reeds to help with throttle response down low. The carbon fibre reeds tend to do the opposite.

6) Jetting is really important. Again, someone with experience can help you get your jetting clean. Woods bikes spend a lot more time in the first 1/3 of the throttle range than MX'ers do, so get your pilot jet/air screw settings down.

7) Forget changing the pipe. Stock pipes are fine, quieter than most aftermarket, and there aren't any good options for low-end pipes for a 125.

8. Some years of the YZ have the option of a powervalve spring change that can delay the opening of the PV, which means the surge of power comes on a bit later than stock. IMO, it's not necessary to fiddle with it. For around $35, Moose makes a torque ring kit that shifts the power characteristics down in the curve. It's just a spacer and gasket that goes on the reed valve side of the motor. I've heard mixed results on these, but for that money it's worth a try. Certainly better than throwing $200 at a loud pipe.

Don't despair too much. I'd question your dealer's motivation in selling you that bike, but you might find you really enjoy your properly set up YZ. I couldn't keep my riding buddies off mine.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I rode/raced 125's for years...moved to a 250 just because I got tired of doing top-ends 2-3 times a year. Still have more fun on a 125! Flywheel weight...(not TOO much for that little motor, 8-9 oz.), gearing... On my suzies it was possible to enhance low-end by adding 2-3 exhaust washers (slide in exhaust port exit before pipe goes on) With a 125, you'll be doing more clutch work and shifting, but I think the handling benefit is a big pay-off. I've had KDX's too, sweet motor, but a 125 is WAY more nimble in the tight stuff.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Just re-reading some of these threads...DON'T mix your oil at 50:1 on a 125.

Make 32:1 your baseline and jet around that mixture. What does your manual say? 32:1. That means it came jetted from the factory for that mixture rate. The bike will perform better and last longer at 32:1. I've never fouled a plug on any bike I've owned, but I know many 50:1 guys who had nasty looking motors at tear-down time. Use your good hand to type in a search on the topic.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Personally, I think the salesman did you a huge favor.
With a few more hours on that bike you'll learn, and begin to understand what it is and how to make it work for you.
You will have to ride in open spaces for a while and I’d highly recommend going to a MX track that has a kiddy track to practice on. Work hard on how to use the clutch.
Riding with someone that knows how to ride (I mean really knows how to ride and can guide you) should be your #1 priority after you get heeled and get several hours of open space practice under your belt.

I set my 10 year old son on a KX100, pulled in the clutch, put it in 2nd gear, gave him a push and watched him go. Mother almost lost her mind but 6 months later he is following me around MX tracks.
I don’t take him to trails yet because although he is doing really good, he still hasn’t gained enough seat time (experience) to get through a tuff trails situation if it arises.

You’ve got a bike that is a stepping stone between a MX80 and a MX250. A handful? You bet! Don’t blame the salesman, you must have at some point inferred that you have riding experience or you will be going to a track. There is no way he would sell a brand new YZ125 as the first bike you’ve ever thrown a leg over, no way.

My recommendations:

- Go back to the dealer (with cast for effect) and ask if they could soften the suspension for trail/less aggressive. You might get it for free. If not it is free if you do it yourself and it is pretty easy.

- Replace the rear sprocket 1 tooth smaller with a heavy steel one.
This will give you a little less hit and a little more top speed. It will also resemble the effect a flywheel weight will give for a fraction of the cost. The down side is the rear suspension won’t reach as fast but that isn’t any ill effect at your ability level or mine for that matter.

Grab that Bull by the horns and stay off the pavement. Your going to needs lots more dirt practice before you can back her into the corners on the pavement Super Moto styles.

Top Bottom