First job interview

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I'm going on my first job interview Dec. 19th for an entry level Electrical Engineering position, anyone got any tips for me? I'm kinda an under dog going into this cause this company doesn't look to well in people with GPAs below a 3.0 and i got a 2.8. The only reason i got the interview was a little smooth talking to an on campus recruiter but that aint going to work on an interview. My friends say you can't really prepare for an interview cause everyone is different. Not only is this my first interview, it's the company that i want to work for the most..... any tips will help.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Prepare with a sample set of questions from your chosen discipline. Visualize yourself doing well over and over. Be very confident without being cocky.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I get to interview managers and first time supervisors. Even if you don't have experience, companies realize that you have to start getting that experience SOMEWHERE. When I interview someone with little or no experience I am drawn to the candidates with the following core competencies: Honesty, Integrity, Confidence, Works Well With Others. Do not try to bull**** the interviewer, I can't tell you how badly that will work for you and you really can see right through it. You're probably not that type anyway just because you're being open here in the forum and asking for advice.

Be calm, clear headed. Don't try to answer the interviewer's questions immediately if you need to take a moment to collect your thoughts. If you don't know the answer or you have no experience to draw from for the question, say so or approach a similar experience.

I bet you'll do just fine!! Remember: Confidence! And about that GPA? You may not be a 4.0, but I bet you had a lot of good experiences in college that make you a well rounded individual from all that interaction with others.

&nbsp;

GOOD LUCK!!!! This is a very exciting time for you! :yeehaw:

Howser03

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I was looking for part-time work last summer in the Information Technology field and every single company I went down to check out I needed a college degree with at least a 3.5 GPA. The wouldn't even consider you with anything less. And this was for entry level positions :scream: I'd be screwed even if the requirments were 2.0 :ugg: Good luck Casper :thumb:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Ask a few questions yourself.

I remember an interview I had several years ago, the branch manager of this fortune 100 company asked me what I was looking for and why I wanted to work for the company. I sat and thought for a moment and figured if I told him the truth, (I needed the money) that he wouldn't be too impressed. I gave him the usual responses yet he had this look on his face as if he wanted more. I told him I was looking for a carreer, not just a job. A place where I could utilize my knowledge as well gaining new knowledge. As he sat there with this bored look on his face I threw out what I considered my last ditch effort to make an impression, I told him one day I would have his job. His bottom jaw dropped as he kicked back in his chair and put his feet on the desk. After what seemed like forever he said he'd be in touch and thanked me for coming in.
I think it was about 3 days later he called and told me I would start on Monday. ;)

Oct 22, 2000
So far we have: Be confident, not cocky; Ask questions and be straight forward; Honesty, Integrity, Confidence, Works Well With Others. Do not try to bull**** the interviewer. I would also like to add that, in all of the interviews that I have been involved in for my company, the interviewer's perception of you personally and how your personality will fit the group that you will be eventually working with are also quite important (did that come out right?). Also, don't forget the favorite "buzz" words like Teamwork, Multi-tasking, etc.

RatTrap :thumb:

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Thanks for the tips everyone. I have another question to ask. I know you are supposed to dress nice for an interview but not over do it. All I have is a 3 piece suit, is that ok or should i just wear a shirt tie and jacket? Also, is there anything I should bring with me besides extra copies of my resume? I feel like Bud Fox going into Gordon Gecko's office here....

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Casper250
I know you are supposed to dress nice for an interview but not over do it. All I have is a 3 piece suit, is that ok or should i just wear a shirt tie and jacket?
That's a tough one for me to answer, I'm not Mr GQ myself. I know you only have one chance at making a 1st impression but a persons attire has never really impressed me all that much. I'd rather a person walk into my office and impress me with their personality and intelligence, they can change clothes later.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I'm a fan of the business suit or business attire (and not business casual) when interviewing. First impressions are important and this will also make a statement about your interest in making a good one.

RatTrap, your advice about fitting in with the work environment is very important. Its also something my company considers, we call it "motivational fit".

Good luck Casper, we want to know how it goes!!

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Casper, good luck to you!&nbsp; In regards to some of your questions:

Better to be over-dressed than too casual.&nbsp; Wear the 3-piece, unless you know FOR SURE that the company is business&nbsp;casual.&nbsp; You can always shuck the jacket &amp; vest later for a more casual look.

Research the company, and make sure you have a few topics you can ASK questions on.&nbsp; Interviewers like to know that you've done the homework on their company.&nbsp; Who will you be reporting to?&nbsp; How many people are in your group?&nbsp; Turn the tables and ask the interviewer what THEY like about the company, their job.

Regarding your GPA:&nbsp; enhance the areas that you did well in, especially if they relate to the job you are interviewing for.&nbsp; Some people don't really care about the gen-ed requirements in college, but really do well in their chosen major-- and end up with only an average GPA. Make sure the interviewer knows that (if it applies to you).

&nbsp;And most important, get business cards or contact information from each person you interview with.&nbsp; Then, the day after your interview follow up with a Thank-you note (snail mail or e-mail), and let them know you are looking forward to working with them!

&nbsp;

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
Do not try to bull**** the interviewer, I can't tell you how badly that will work for you and you really can see right through it.&nbsp;

Hopefully, that doesn't work most places but apparently it works at the company I work for.&nbsp; We have a controller here that knows absolutely nothing about his job and, in 2 years, has made no attempt to learn.&nbsp; To listen to him, he has had so many different jobs that:&nbsp;

a: He must be at least 90 years old&nbsp; or

b:&nbsp; He has never held a job for more than 3 months, except here of course.

c: He is so full of it, his shoes squish when he walks.

He has been riding off of the work of the Cost Accountant whom he replaced as the controller.&nbsp; The current cost accountant told his boss the truth about certain things and his boss didn't like it so he replaced him with someone who would bullsh*t him and tell him what he wants to hear. :moon:

Sorry to rant.&nbsp; To me, using those buzz words is bullsh*t also if those are not words you normally use.

I have no advice to give.......I suck at interviews.&nbsp; I also used Jeff Gilbert's technique of telling my interviewer, who was to be my manager, that I would have his job someday! :eek:

Last edited:

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I'll let you guys know what happends, the interview is set for the 19th so maybe santa might bring me a job offer this year!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I've been been on both sides of the coin. First off, find out what the typical business attire is for the job you are interviewing for and dress just a little bit better, but don't overdue it. On my first interview the company president told me not to wear a suit or a tie so I didn't. I got the job. Have a firm handshake and look people in the eye. Be yourself and don't lie. Nothing irritated me more than finding out someone I hired had lied. Let them know what your field of interest is. Don't get too hung up on the GPA thing. Some of your references should be the professors whose classes you enjoyed and did well in. Use this to your advantage. My GPA was lower than yours and it never came up in an interview. In fact I never look at a persons GPA. Make sure to let them know that if they hire you they are investing in a person who will become an asset to the company.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I am a contractor in the IT field. I have been on many interveiws.

1. be confident in your abilities. Are you a quick study? inter-personal skills?
2. be honest. if you have no experience/knowledge in an area, say so, but also say that you would be VERY interested in leaning more and that learning new things is your strong point/fun/enjoyable...etc...
3. find a common interest. If you can find out what the interviewer is interested in. show interest in it your self.
4. never, never be negative. do not talk bad about their favorite sports team, type of car, etc.....
5. always look the person in the eye.
6. sit on the edge of your seat. do not lay back and look comfortable.
7. ask the interviewer something about the company or how long they have been there. maybe if they are a local or did they move there. from where?
8. interviewing is not an easy thing to do. we always get nervous. it is a learned skill. watch the person's face and try to adjust your conversation accordingly. many people stay at a job they dislike because they fear/don't like/don't know how to interview.

oh yeah, smile and thank the person afterward...

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
All very good tips. I would ditch the vest on the three peice, I just hate playing dress up! A nice tie, shirt, jacket, pant, and shoes should do the the trick. I like the idea about focusing on your positives. Also, if you have one bring a leather daytimer (the enxspensive type that holds a legal pad and a pen nothing to fancy) for taking any notes that might be needed ( it helps to show that your organized and welll prepared). Maybe even make some notes in there with questions that you want to ask or some small words in there to help you remember some answers to possible questions or things about the company.

To questions to keep in mind are.

Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?

Why do you think that you would be good for this position?

remember that you are basicly trying to sell yourself to the company. I think they would have a better reaction to honesty, than a fast talking salesman type.

Have a Good Luck Nana :yeehaw:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I think the best thing you can do is put a positive spin on everything you talk about. I've had interviews ask me about jobs or classes that I DIDN'T like in college. So I would always respond with a reason, but be sure to also include what you learned from the experience and how it made you better at what you do.

You should also convey a strong willingness to learn new things and continue advancing your career. Enthusiasm may help overcome a little lack of experience.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I too have been asked what I didn't like about a job/boss. My response is "I'd rather not answer that question. Ask me what I liked or what the perfect boss/job is, and I can answer that." It worked, and the interviewer got a chuckle out of it. As said before, always be positive.

Also, have an idea of the range of how much money you want. Look at other job offerings and get an idea of what they pay. It caught me totally off guard, when I was asked. They actually paid me the higher amount.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Thanks again everyone. I guess my biggest concern is dealing with some technical questions that they might ask like a simple circuit design or something. Just being put on the spot. But i guess i should stop worrying about it to much, if they hire me, they hire me, if they don't, oh well...

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
If they ask you something you don't know...

"I've honestly not dealt with that before, but is it anything like ...?" (Use something similar that you are familiar with. It can be your way of leading the conversation to topics with which you are comfortable.

As mentioned, take notes. If they ask why, tell them that if it's important enough for them to tell you, it's important enough for you to make note of it.

You can use your questions to make a positive statement about yourself. Ask things that would only matter to a good employee, like...

"How often are performance reviews done and are there merit based rewards tied to them?"

"Could you outlien the typical career path that follows this position?"

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Casper250
if they hire me, they hire me, if they don't, oh well...
Don't let them see that kind of attitude!&nbsp; I've seen interviewing styles where they will try to jerk your chain to see how you will respond.&nbsp; If you give up at that point, they will, too.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Well. i had my interview on tuesday and i think it went OK. I was surprisingly not nervous most of the time. It was a little long though, it ran from 9 till 12:30 and then i got a tour of 2 labs and was done at 2:30. I got interviewed by 4 mid-level engineers and an HR person. I really want to work for this company but they told me that they wont be able to get back to me with a an offer or a rejection for 4 weeks. One thing about the interview that was interesting was that when the HR person asked me what i do outside of school, and when i told her that i race motocross, she didn't know what it was :( . It was wierd to hear some one say to me What is motocross?

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Some of the things that we ask in interviews for possible employees are;

What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
What are your mid-term and long-term goals?
What are you looking for in an ideal job in terms of the Company, People you work with, and type of work you will be doing?

We usually are looking for people to have a strong work ethic and the initiative to be driving their knowledge and career forwards.

Good luck!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hey Casper! I was just thinking about this post not too long ago. Please let us know about the job!! I hope it worked out for you! That's funny about the HR manager not knowing what MX is - actually its really sad when you think about it!

Oct 22, 2000
My wife didn't know what motocross was either until I came home after a major crash. I to thought about this thread a while back and was wondering how things went. When they gave you "the tour", did they seem upbeat, or were they just going through the motions? Usually, we do not give the tour unless we are sure that we want the person, or they asked us for one. Let us all know what happens either way.

RatTrap:thumb:

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Sometimes during an interview they may ask you to fill out paperwork, maybe insurance info or something, tell them you will do it now versus taking it home to complete. This happened to me at the end of an interview and the interviewer stuck his hand out an said "your hired". As others said, sit forward and look the person in the eyes.
Good luck

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…