First Time Cleaning Air Filter Need Help

shamanboy

Jun 19, 2004
Hi new rider just got back from pretty dusty trail so guessing time to clean the air filter just asking for some good ways to clean it and what tyo of oil to use Thanks for the help.

Yz125Rider13

Sep 1, 2003
Ok, first you want to take the air filter off the bike and off of the plastic cage is sits on. Then put some gasoline (regular gas, no premix added) in a bucket or also can use mineral spirits (aka paint thinner) put that filter in there and squeeze it and rub it and squeeze it some more. Then take it out, ring it out, and let dry for a few hours. Then get some air filter oil ( I use the belray kind and it works great) (waterproof, thick substance) and rub it all over the filter. Make sure you get the part of the filter where it meets the back of the airbox when tightened down to form a seal between the filter and the carb air intake. Thats always important. Other than that, put it back on and ride. :ride: If any of this information is wrong, or can be done an easier or better way, please correct me. Thanks, Later

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I would avoid using gasoline for sheer safety reasons but many use it and have yet to blow up :laugh: Other than that the only thing I would mention is not to "ring out" the filter but simply squeeze it to get the excess solvent off the filter, a filter will last you a lot longer when not getting wrung out. You want the filter completely covered in filter oil but not dripping so squeeze out any excess.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Mineral spirits is a good choice for a cleaner. Most home improvement stores sell it by the half gallon which will give you many good cleanings. Let it dry overnight and I second the Bel Ray filter oil. Good stuff.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
I use kerosene for a few wash cycles, then Dawn and water for a few cycles. DON'T wring it out. Squeeze it. If you wring it, you may tear the foam. I use some paper towels in the final squeeze, then I let it dry overnight, then use foam filter oil. This is a specific oil for foam air filters. It goes on easy, but gets very sticky shortly afterwards. The dirt blings to the oil on the foam. Otherwise, it will pass on through to damage your engine.

I have heard a lot of people say not to use gasoline, plus my Kawasaki service manual says not to use it. Some have said it attacks the glue in the filter seams. Try the mineral spirits. Around here, it is about $5.50 a gallon, but it is supposed to be very good for cleaning the filter.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
After whatever solvent you use, I recommend hot soapy water, followed by several rinses in clean cold water. it's amazing how much extra grit and sand this will get out....check the bottom of the bucket as you pour away the soapy stuff.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I actually use engine degreaser, spary it on, let it sit, spary it off with water, rinse in soapy water then clean water, squeeze, softly, not like you're making diamonds. :yikes: Let dry, then I use the PJ1 foam filter spray oil. Light coat on the inside, heavier on the outside. Squeeze again to move the oil around, replace and ride. If you put too much oil on it, it'll start leaking down on to the swingarm and such, then you'll know.

Oh, and maybe a lite coat of grease on the seal that goes against the airbox, keeps the dirty dirt out. :cool:

Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
some people explain the last step differently..should you put the waterproof grease on the actual filter lip itself, or on the steel ring on the airbox that shows where the lip sits?

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Unless it was an oddball design, I doubt it would matter. It is easier to put it on the filter, then wiggle the filter down in the airbox than to reach in the airbox a few times to dab grease on the lip.

Top Bottom