Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmaverick

Apr 5, 2007
Hi all,

Lookin to ride
) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'9 180lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? dunno
3) what do you plan to ride- ????? trails, dirt road, field. with friends both with bikes and quads
4) Do you have any riding experience? rode a ttr-125 once last year
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? no but willing to learn some basics
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? no
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes major ones
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? well...
10) Do you live in California? no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

ok...here's the deal...my friend is moving out of state for summer and is gonna let me ride his rt100 for the summer...I think its' a 92. Here's the problem...From the looks of it needs a lot of work. The good news is he told me to save the reciepts and he would pay for any parts that need replacing within reason - labor. I figure this would be a good opportunity for me to get some experience both riding and learning a little about repairs. I don't know exactly what needs repair, but I know it hasn't been run in at least 2 years.
I'm not gonna ask what all i should consider fixing cuz i know there are other forums posts, but I do want to know if I should even consider this and what I should expect out of this bike/what newer bikes it's comparable to, ect. The only bike I ever rode is a ttr125

thanks

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
How did you like the TTR-125?

If you really liked the TTR-125 (four stroke) then you will probably like the extra power that a 100 cc two stroke would give you, but I think both bikes are too small for you. I would also would not recommend any deals that involve one person paying and the other riding, it just seems like an invitation for hard feelings.

If you are going to buy a four stroke I wouldn't go less than 225 cc. For a two stroke a 125 cc would be fine but get a full size bike: 18 inch rear wheel. Too much weight on a small frame bike is an invitation for a free flight over the handelbars.

There are plenty of old bikes out there that have a lot of life left in them, run decently right now and are fairly cheap to buy. The bike I ride, a 1986 YZ-125, I paid $800 for and I got a helmet, boots and chest protector in the deal.

Rod

darkmaverick

Apr 5, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna tell him I appreciate the offer but no thanks.
As for the ttr it was alright, but I definately want something with more power. I've been keeping my eye out for deals for a while now. I'm pretty sure I want something with a headlight incase I go out riding at night.

darkmaverick

Apr 5, 2007
new bike

well it's almost a year later and am getting a newer bike. I have a couple of options the first is a 97 yz125 for 950 obo. another is an 01 rm250 in really good condition for 1500. both are close by. the third option is a kdx200 for 1200 not sure the condition, but it's a couple of hundred miles away. I am leaning towards the trail bike cuz that's what i want it for. my buddy has a yz125 and says i will quickly outgrow it and to go for the 250. the only riding experiance i have is on a ttr125, rt100, and quad. any advice would be appreciated, thanx. o and my price range is 1500 or less

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
The RM sounds like the best deal for your size. Just take it easy until you get used to it, and have fun!

darkmaverick

Apr 5, 2007
I also came across and 87 xr250 for 800and a 92 wr200 for 1200
are these bikes comparable (besides 2 and 4 stroke)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom