Fitting a '88 engine in a newer frame

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Can a '88 Honda CR250R engine be transplanted into a newer model CR250 frame? Im wondering because everyone says the 88 was very bad body wise, and would rather buy a newer rolling chassis and put the 88 engine it in then sell and rebuy (and I like the engine on my CR).

Anyone know if it can be done?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
huh??

sounds like alot of trouble to me
my 88 is one of my favorites. i owned one in 88, took a break fro awhile, got another 88 in 02, now i have my 03 . the 88 is my dunes bike, geared all low end, jetted fat ,paddle and flag on er. either sell her and get newer , i suggest either 96 or 03 or keep er and get newer cause somebody may buy the 88 whole 1000- 1200 or buy your chassis for 100 that may cover nuts+bolts on the fresh chassis which you probably havent found or you would have specified the year already. heck my 88 has an 89 rear tire and that alone has caused me grief in the past on numerous occasions . i mean i call my parts guy order a top end and a sprocket and they show up 88 and bearings are 89 :bang: :pissed: :bang:

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
The main reason is because I really like the engine in my CR250 more then the newer ones. Mine has alot more low end power (I dont know what the previous owner did but it oddly enough has pretty good low RPM power) then the newer CR125's amd CR250's Ive tried which feels like all high RPM power. Plus, when the previous owner had it dynoed (he worked at a performance parts shop so they had dyno's) I think it only had about 35-40hp peak power (I lost the chart so I dont know it exactly). This is like the equivalent of a new CR125, and I dont really like them.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
:cool: i like the low end too. if the suspenders and low end are what yer after check into other brands :think: or get an 03 with vforce gnarly pipe 50 tooth-rear and jet it. :) :aj:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

ellandoh said:
:cool: i like the low end too. if the suspenders and low end are what yer after check into other brands :think: or get an 03 with vforce gnarly pipe 50 tooth-rear and jet it. :) :aj:
oh yeah dont try to guess at a new 250 by how the 125 feels all 125s feel like mopeds unless theyre screaming when you come off any other bike

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
I know 2 strokes usually have bad low end so Im not complaining that the new CR's dont have it, I just like that I can get alot of power of out my CR's engine in the low, mid, and top. The newer ones feel like the power comes out of nowhere when you hit the powerband and I dont like that. My CR's motor feels almost like a 4 stroke, after you start going the power comes on pretty evenly and theres a little hit at the powerband but nothing like a newer CR.

The main reason I wanted to transplant the engine is because the frame on mine is starting to get some surface rust and looks pretty bad so I want to get a newer frame and Ive been told the frame geometry on the 88 isnt that good.

Top Bottom