94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Well, the weekend was another event starting with my wife seeing the "Free Lab Puppies" sign on the way to the races. yes, we are the proud owner of a pup.
Anyway, back to the race. we did a practice lap that was only half the track. The crew was still marking the second half of the track so i came in for some maintenance. I had a small get off and to realign the front end. Carl had a brake line wear into(KTM owners check your rear brake line(white part) because it rubs on the swingarm at the bend). We found a yamaha one and got him going. The track was dusty and sandy and fast. But right before the race started there was a rain shower that last 5 minutes...beautiful!
The pros got going almost on time and we(Vet class) were sitting way back on row 8. i was pumping and ready as the last race my start sucked. I got off the line in front but was immediately caught by the teacher. he and diced all the way to the woods(approx 1 mile of wide open sand race before the wood section). I scared my self silly in the sand twice but made it in the woods right on the leaders tail. I was able to habg with him and actually passed for the lead after he bobbled. i held the lead for half the first lap and then lost it when we caught the next class. I was a little to conservative in passing and the teach passed me. I held on for 2nd until another fast deep sand section when another guy got me. i was fighting the sand all day. We hit a lake dam that was dry, smooth and long and i got the 300 exc full throttle in top gear. Close to 95 mph(panoram said 103.4 need to check calibration!). The bike was hauling and working flawlessly but again in a sand section I got caught again and ended up finishing 4th for the day, 49th overall. Really disappointed because I felt good in the woods and felt like I had a good day but the many long deep sand sections took its toll on me. Batboy finished 9th, 2 laps in and he ran good.
Brandon forrester won the event(may have been his 1st overall??) Steve Levain finshed 4th.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Good job Kevin, sounds like a fun course..and dry..wow, that would be cool..I wouldn't recognize that place without the footpeg deep mudruts and stranded bikes everywhere..hehe
Keep plugging away w/those top 5 finishes, that is awesome! That Husky riding teacher though, sheez, who's gonna sneak by and bleed off the Nitro charge from his shock???LOL

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
He finshed 23rd overall. It seems like a lot of people were hauling yesterday. Everyone absolutely loved the track. i would liked to have seen more tighter sections but it was fun to go that fast!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I posted in the places to ride forum to see if anyone was going but nobody answered. Too bad we didn't know the other was going to be there. I ended up taking GSR's KTM down and raced in the 200 C class. I'm not sure racing a bike that I am not used to and is like night & day from my bike is a good idea though :( There were 21 in my class and I made it into the woods in 4th place (yeehaw, I loved that sand track). Less than a mile in (the first hill was clogged with down riders), my decision was to go to the right to get around :( Not a good one. I spend about 4 minutes, got stuck, fell downhill, flooded, etc. etc. I think I got passed by 20 people right there. Once on top of the first hill it took me about 15 minutes to catch my breath and feel somewhat normal again. I must have tweaked my right shoulder picking the bike up because it hurt the rest of the day. I ended up catching a few people and the rest of loop 1 felt good. Loop two felt awesome as did about 35% of loop 3. After that my shoulder and legs were pretty much toast and I just held on to finish loop 3 at 2hrs 6mins 50 secs. I ended up a very disappointing 13th out of 21. 9 guys riding in the 200 C class put in 4 loops. Brandon (who overalled it) only got in 4 loops :think: The loops were 12.5 miles long. I'll try to catch up with at another race 94Ruck. That was a blast, great conditions, fast course and for charity too. I think they said last years event raised ~ $32,000 for the March of Dimes. Counting the poker runs and Saturdays events they had around 550 (don't remember the exact #) riders this weekend (2&4 wheels).

Last edited:

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I got in 4 loops! I was 49th overall(usually around 32nd-35th). Theyw ere many people who ran this course 4 loops in the 2hour 22minute to 2 hour 25 minute range. My nephew and son in the junior class would have done 3 loops(Tyler aka batboy ran 1 hour 42 minutes for 2 loops on a bone stock albeit lowered KX 80). The fast pros came in at just over 2 hours and seconds for 4 loops. I think the longer course made for more people in the 4 loop range.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I know what you mean about the long course and so many people getting in 4 loops, it just looks like to me there would be a larger gap between the fastest AA rider and the top 4-5 C-200 riders. I don't remember for sure but I don't think more than half the B riders even got in 4 loops. I have been trying to figure out what class I actually belong in but with all the sandbagging its impossible to tell. I think the top C-200 guy finished his 3rd loop a full 17 minutes ahead of me. I wanted to look at the B classes to see where I would have finished if I'd raced in that class but you know what its like around the results board after they finally post them :) Any idea if all the results with times will be posted on the net anywhere?

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Kevin - 95 mph?!? No wonder it felt like my helmet wanted to come off. Very cool what they did with that concrete structure...I decided to put in the tinted goggle lens for the race, so needless to say it was a little dark under there. I did 4 laps and was 2 spots behind you overall.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
yeah, that old slanted concrete was cool. i followed a kdx into it on the last lap and he heard me and panic and slid straight through the first corner...oops. he was alright tho!
I really expected to be in the top 30 and was disappointed with my results. I fought the deep sand all day but across that dam my bike would haul.

Top Bottom