Dgaffler

Feb 28, 2002
Is there any trick to preventing flat tires? I recall using things like tire SLIME or MR. TOUGHIES on my mountain bike and was wondering if anything similar is available for dirtbike tires?

Has anyone ever used FIX-a-FLAt for slow leaks? My tire loses about 3-5 lbs. in about 48 hours and was thinking a quick shot of
FIX-a-FLAT might seal the pin hole up.

Thanks....

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Dgaffler
Is there any trick to preventing flat tires?

Use MSR “Extra” heavy duty or Moose heavy duty natural rubber tubes. More expensive, but worth it for the extra protection.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I run Moose heavy duty tubes at 12psi and never had a flat, and thats in New England! Never trusted that slime stuff.

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
You may have a small piece of sand in you valve stem, put a drop of oil in it and push it in several times.. I run my tires at 10psi..

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I also used MSR heavy duty tubes until I bought a set of Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. Now those tubes ARE THICK. All these tubes need are some knobs and you wouldnt even have to use tires. ;)

EnsignB

Apr 13, 2002
I've used Slime with good results on real rocky terrain.

A buddy of mine who's big time into enduros suggested using slime and to wrap an old tube around a new tube. I didn't go that far, but I imagine that would give you even more protection.
----
Brandon

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Slime??

I tried that slime in a set of tires last year. It sounded like the Cat's meow! I practice on some really crappy rock sections here in North Eastern Pa. and usually have to keep the psi up to prevent pinch flats.
I followed instructions to the "T", 2 rear tire snake bite flats later I gave up. Now I've got a set of heavy duty tubes and so far I'm holding air.
All the slime did was make the tire slimmy when I pulled the tube out!
Just my 2 cents worth.
Joe
2001 KDX200
2 TTR 125 Boy "A"'s and "B"'s
2000 ATK 125 LQ new steed to the stables
The way I break things when I ride, I feel I'm personally keeping the ecomony flowing :)

knobbytracks

Oct 29, 2001
Slime DOES NOT work for pinch flats and riding in rocky terrain causes pinch flats. The Slime works great for cactus and most thorn type holes. You may lose some air but pump back up to full pressure, or more, and spin the tire. This allows the escaping air to force the fibers in the Slime into the hole and plugging it up.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Slime??

I now know that the hard way, but, when I saw it at my local dealer, They never stated that, so I assumed, (you know what happens when you do that)
Well live and learn.
joe ;)

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
I Run with Moose Heavy Duty Tubes too and have had good luck so far, I'm currently running 15 lbs because of the rocks, I also use lots od wraps of duct tape on my rims to help prevent punctures from the rim, I dont use the slime stuff...I wonder if it would cause extra vibration at higher speend that you get to on fire roads??? :)

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I used to run the Moose tubes,but have switched to the Bridgestone Ultra heavy Duty tubes. These tubes are the thickest I have ever seen. I highly recomened them

KDX MAN

Nov 23, 1999
I have what they call "flat tyre Paranoia".

I run heavy duty tubes with an old tube cut up and wrapped around the outside of it. I also tape the rims up with tapen for extra protection.
I have run my tires at very low psi and havnt got a flat.

"Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you!"

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
Every bike I have owned has had a MSR Ultra Heavy Duty tube in the front, I have been riding 25 years and never had a flat tire. Never used slime or the moose stuff, they are both still sitting on my work bench.

Dgaffler

Feb 28, 2002
Thanks for the info! I will give the H-D tubes try..
Has anyone ever used FIX-a-FLAT for small puncture flats? I was wondering if the stuff works in tubes and is worth carrying in the backback.

Top Bottom