Jul 30, 2008
I have a brand new KDX200 with 265 miles on the clock. I suspected that the float level was too high because fuel poured out the overflow when the bike was on the side stand.

I set the float level as described in the JustKDX Tech specs at 16mm and the bike started showing signs of fuel starvation

I have raised the level till the floats lie parallel to the carb body, but this is an approximation - does anyone know a better way to do it?

Thanks

Allan
xt500.co.za

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Kawasaki makes a fuel level indicator for these bikes, it screws into the base of the bowl - I made one myself using some spare parts and set mine tonight - it was about 3mm higher than spec.

If you can get your hands on a service manual, it spells the procedure for checking the level pretty clearly. You have to remove the carb and gas tank. Elevate the gas tank, mount the carb on the stand, install the fuel line and fill the carb. You then have to hold the level indicator above the carb bowl/carb union. The ideal fuel level is when the gas level within the indicator is at the same level where the bowl and carb meet with a tolerance of +2 mm (not -2mm). This is a tedious process if you don't have all of the right stuff (which I don;t), but I think I got mine right.

Some others out there might have some better tips for you, which I also would be interested in. If I didn't nail mine, I might drop it by the shop so that the kawa boys can set it up properly for me, or either build a suitable stand and repeat the process that I defined above.

Good luck!

Jul 30, 2008
Hi Dan

Thanks, you have explained perfectly, I understand now how to do this. Do you perhaps have the part no for the fuel gauge?

I really appreciate your help, thank you so much

Kind regards

Allan

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Allan,
I don't have my manual handy, it is in the garage right now. I can look up the level indicator for you and send you the part number. I ended up ordering a service manual from Kawasaki versus purchasing and using the online version that is available, I think it was about $40. I've thumbed through it a few times, appears to be comprehensive enough to tackle most jobs. If you have a kawa dealer close by, you can probably call them about the level indicator, I'm sure they can order one for you.

Good luck with your carb, they can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

dansavage

Jul 14, 2008
Allan,
If you take a look at the tech tips on this site you will find good info on carb tuning. It just so happens that the part # that you are seeking is there, here it is:

Before you consider rejetting your carburetor you need to insure you don't have any mechanical problems that are mimicking poor jetting. Float level problems are common so checking the float bowl fuel level is a great place to start. You might suspect that the fuel level is out a whack but wouldn't it be great to be able to confirm it before making any adjustment. A fuel level gauge can be installed on the carburetor and the fuel level visually checked. You can order a fuel level gauge from Kawasaki. The part number for 1989 to 2000 KDX200/220s is M18 x 1.0: 5701-122. The factory service manual does a good job of explaining how to use it. If you need some help just post your question on the

Jul 30, 2008
Thanks Dan

It's really great to get help like this. I did read what you have so kindly sent me before asking all my dumn questions ;) BUT The part no listed is for a 1989 to 2000 KDX, so I thought that mine may have a different part no, as mine is a 2008 model

Regards

Allan

Top Bottom