Floppy kick starter

dom

Dec 31, 2001
Hi all,

The kick starter on my KDX has a problem, there is no resistance to keep it from flopping out to the kicking position. It seem like there should be a spring or something that holds it in after kicking. I've seen the short kicker conversion but I don't think that is the same thing. It is mostly ridden by my gf so I'd like to keep the long kick starter. Unless the shorter one makes it easier to kick??

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
I don't _think_ there is a "return spring" that holds the kickstarter inwards, but instead a ball detente or something similar that clicks in when the starter arm is in the inboard position. You can hear it "click" when you flip it in or out. I could be wrong though and it might be a combination of the two (a coil spring and ball detente)

I've ridden a KDX with the short kickstarter (I think it was a Fredette) and it was both harder and easier :)

Harder, because the shorter length meant you didn't have the same mechanical advantage when kicking it over. For myself, it was still pretty easy to kick over (KDX's are easy to kick start in general), but if your girlfriend was on the ragged edge of being able to start it, the shorter arm might push it into the realm of "pretty darn tough"

Easier, because the compact arm is easier to get your foot on top of, especially if you are shorter, or if the bike is in a tight spot or on uneven terrain...

It took me a little while to get used to it compared to the standard kick lever (I always wanted to give it that same kick "motion" I use on the standard and it felt awkward) but after just a little bit of time, I grew to like how it worked. and after going back to my own KDX with the standard kick starter, it felt like I could kick start it with my forehead LoL!

Good Luck!

Feanor

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
It does have a ball and detent spring and nothing else. If you look closely you'll see a small hex head screw set into the lever. Under that is a small spring which in turn holds a small ball-bearing in against the shaft. What happens is that the spring collapses badly and doesn't provide that pressure to the ball bearing. Rplace that spring and you're usually good to go. I say usually because the shaft on the knuckle can wear down and it can become quite floppy even with a good ball and detent spring. When it gets bad enough to require replacing, is when some people get the fredette kicker or a modified KX one.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

dom

Dec 31, 2001
Thanks, I just couldn't see how a spring would attach, I'll look at it closer tonight. I have the same mixed feelings on the short kicker. On one hand there is less mechanical advantage on the other you don't have to kick as far, it becomes a short quick stab.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
There is an allen head screw at the base of the kick starter and behind the screw there is a small spring and ball-bearing. Your screw has probably backed out and thus the spring and ball bearing have been lost. I had the same problem. If you look at the base of the kick starter you will probably see the threaded hole.

I purchased the screw, ball-bearing and spring from bikebandit.com for something like $5.50. Took 2 minutes to put in.

here is a link to the diagram.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandi...305448~model_dept_name~KDX200(KDX200H2)US.asp

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…