duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Broke my shift shaft off after the shifter got slammed into something a couple weeks ago. I got a new shift shaft (and shifter since that one was done for)... I pulled the bike apart to repair and cannot figure out how the starter gear goes back in. I thought I did but when I install it like I think I should there is no stop at the end of the kickstart's travel.
Specifically I am looking for how to orient that little "tab" that sticks of the end of starter gear/shaft assembly... I thought that at the "rest" position (with the lever folded up and put away) had the tab pointing straight up at the 12 oclock position but apparently not??
Also would like to know the orientation of the spring... I know it is determined by the orientation of the tab for the most part but it will help make it more clear... I assume the non-captive end goes into the little hole near the back edge of the housing?

If anyone has a pic that would be awesome.

Thanks.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I really cant remember it being that hard to figuer out, the spring goes into the hole as you said but be carefull when putting the cover back on as the water pump gear needs to mesh and that spring can be a little hard to slip past some times. I do remember it was alot easier to take the inner clutch cover off when trying to put it together

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
there is a punch mark on the shaft and the rachet that need to be lined up and the little plate bolted to the case is called the rachet guide so I assume the tab on the rachet would line up with this piece somehow...like i said its been awhile

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Thanks... Maybe I just need to put it all back together before trying to cycle the starter lever. I am driving myself nuts because it seems like when I put it together the way you describe (sping end in hole, ratchet tab touching the "ratchet guide" when at the "home" position) there is no lower stop to the thing... The kick lever travels downward until it hits the foot peg... Maybe the stop is built into the part of the casing that's still removed when doing this test. I can't see what it might be to save my life though.

Do you remember if there is any preload to the spring when you put it in?

Thanks.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yes I remember having to twist the spring clockwise to put it in the hole also I remember thinking the spring would be better pushed back on the shaft...not so leave it hang out naturally

Ihave done so many bikes since the kdx I really cant remember much I do know however that I have a inner and outer cover with jb weld on it out in the garage from trying to put it together with the outer cover in place,,, as far as the stop goes I think the kicker stops at the peg or peg mount and has nothing to do with the engine

do not try to put the kick shaft in with the idle gear present, I think the order goes kicker, idle gear, then clutch...

the point of the rachet tab is to be forward of the shoulder on the guide plate but rearward of the bolts that hold the guide plate on, there may be a punch mark on the front of the shaft where the bolt that holds the kicker on ..looks to be in the 12 oclock position

when it is all together the idle gear will spin with the kicker gear smoothly before the clutch is installed

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
I am a dumba**... I just assumed there'd be something in there to stop the kick lever at its maximum point of travel... I even thought "maybe it just hits the foot peg???" but then I told my myself that was just wishful thinking to get out of figuring out the correct way to put it together... As soon as you said it might be the peg I went out and looked at it... Sure enough: clearly visable wear visible on the peg... Doh!

After I figured that out I just put it together in a logical seeming way, everything went together with no issues and I've been on two rides since then and its been working great... Lol

Thanks so much.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah I never had a motorcycle that had a stop for the kicker other than the foot peg and I have had a bunch of bikes.. if it does not hit the peg the kicker will stop any how because it is at the bottom of the stroke like my xt does

Top Bottom