Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
I have a 94' kdx and Im a novice rider and am used to 4 strokes, so I like the low power. My bike has a bit to much power with the after market expansion chamber and silencer in the high rpm range, now the question is will I get better low end and manageable power in the high rpms with a flywheel weight?

ps should I wheelie over logs in low med or high range, when I do it in high the bike allways flips :ohmy:

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Fly wheel weight is not going to help you in that area. If you are using a torque pipe you should be seeing a little improvement on the low end power compared to the stock pipe but if your looking for real low end grunt you will need to change your front or rear or both sprocket sizes. Stock it comes 13(front) / 47(rear) which makes the bike have great overall power but the low end is weak at best. To keep the wear on the chain good, I recommend changing both sprockets and chain at the same time. I was using 12 / 50 on my KDX when it was a 200 cc and man it was a torque monster, 13 / 50 would even make a big difference. As far as your log flipping technique, you will want to practice taking logs in 1st gear using the clutch alot and as little throttle as you can. Faster just means falling harder in that scenario. Unlike the 4 stroke with a 2S you need to get your clutching down to a science, you can't use the clutch enough and makes the power more controllable. When you can tackle them in 1st, then start using 2nd but any gear you are in is going to be about knowing when to clutch and knowing how your bike reacts in the different throttle positions. Good Luck with it.

Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
well

Its not the clutch thats my problem because I can only get power with my other machines using clutch, my big problem is the hit I get in first and second gear which is why I want a weight, sorry I didn't make that clearer. the fliping hapens in 1st because of the major hit I get, It goes from all most 4500 to 10000 rpms in the hit going to the pwrband will the weight help their?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I'm not sure that the '94 KDX had a torque vs. rev pipe option....I think that the pipes that are available lean toward being of the rev variety.

The flywheel weight helps me the most in the resistance to stalling department. It also has a minor smoothing effect on the rev delivery. If you gear your bike down you might find yourself in that "wheelie over" part of the power band much more of the time. The hit will be accentuated by the low gearing. I've kept my gearing closer to stock so as to smooth any hits and to lengthen my gear usability. You can use that softer low end and have better control when you're doing those fine control techniques (like slow log crossings). You'll also be shifting less often with the higher gearing. I run 13/48, but my rear tire is a little taller than stock. You can also fine tune your jetting to smooth the hit you're experiencing. Assuming that your jetting is spot on (and that is a BIG assumption) you can richen the main jet a step and soften the hit.

Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
well

I have the gearing stock and the main jet stock, I took off the snorkel, cleaned the filter and correct me if im wrong tightened the air screw to give it more air. It gave me less of a hit in 1st and 2nd didn't do much for 3rd but took out all hit in 4th.

Top Bottom