Fmf P/n For Gnarley Rev

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
I just bought an 03 220 that has a gnarley pipe. I was wondering what the part number difference is for the rev versus the desert pipe. The fmf website did not show specific p/n's. Thanks, Tim

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
Rev is the term used for a 200 pipe. The 220 Gnarly's use part numbers -30 (desert )which is higher RPM, and a -35 (woods) for lower RPM.

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
full part number

My pipe has a number on the upper most mounting tab but it does not have a 30 or 35 in the number. Is there another area to look for the -30 or -35? Thanks

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
never mind

I finally got a p/n from fmf. Unfortunatley, the pipe is a woods pipe. p/n20057. The 20056 is the desert or rev pipe.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Unfortunately, indeed.

What's unfortunate is that I don't know that you know what pipe you have, even now.

For starters the term 'gnarly' doesn't say anything about which profile you have.

For seconders the term 'rev' and 'torque' are commonly reversed when it comes to the 200/220!

For thirders, FmF has mismarked their pipes before.

Measure the circumference of your pipe at the largest part of the thing...where the two cones (converging and diverging) meet.

A -35 (woods, torque, bottom-end) pipe will be about 11" in circumference.

A -30 (desert, rev, top-end) pipe will be about 14" in circumference.

I'm saying the torque is smaller than the rev.

Both descriptors (rev/torque) apply to both bikes. A rev on a 200 will have the same type effect on a 220. Not altogether the SAME effect, but the same type.

Likewise concerning the torque.

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
I understand the difference quite well but as I mentioned before, there is no -30 or -35 anywhere on this pipe. Knowing some standard dimensions is very helpful. The p/n stamped onto the upper most pipe mount is 20057. This number coresponds the the p/n I found in the fmf website for a gnarley woods pipe for a kdx220. The bike runs pretty well for a trail bike, I just wanted to find out for sure before I spent anymore on mods. I would buy something more worthy if it was looking like I was going to have to dump too much in it. Thanks for the info.

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
Basic 2 stroke theory indeed. It's all relative to expansion and velocity of gasses. I measured the pipe and it is indeed very close to 14" in circumference. Now, assuming I know that you know what your talking about. It would seem that I do in fact have an fmf mismarked pipe. It also fits like crap which seems to be a common thread topic. Thanks again for the info and your ever upity sarcastic reply.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
I'm willing to bet by the sound of it, that CC might know more about pipes then FMF. With all the misfits and wrong pipes...
Logic would go something like this, bigger more revs smaller more torque.
Where it occurs (largest Dia.) in the pipe also makes a difference.
Thanks for the info CC.

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
Understanding 2 stroke theory is one thing and learning about poor quality control history is another. One should not assume that anyone posting is either expert or newbie. After riding for 35 years and especially in the day's were there were few aftermarket pipes available, peope had to modify exiting pipes, roll cones and build customs, or pay a bunch of loot to have one made. We changed head pipe length, diameter, expansion chamber cone slopes, etc. to get bikes to run better or different. Fellow engineer coworkers and myself had several volumes of 2 stroke engineering books and a few on pipe/expansion chamber design and it was a fun project to play with. I bought a used bike purely for trail building and play riding and just wanted to find out what the pipe was. the reply I got from cc was sarcastic which is fine as I have a thick skin, but I would bet fmf knows plenty about the theory but like many other companies has likely farmed out at least a portion of the manufacturing process. Sorry for the long reply but there is always a sharp witted responder in every forum that seems to write replies implying stupidity on the originators part. I do appreciate the info and now know what is actually on the bike.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
kdxtimmay, what pipe do you have?
I am doing the top end soon, and this time I might change the pipe also.
I run the FMF T/C II Q S/A and the fit is fine, but from what I've been hearing the FMF pipe fit is a different story.
I would think that these pipes are built in a jig, and are a no brainer to weld :think:
CC seems to have a some good points in his posts and I feel that he probably could weld one at least. ;)
Just don't ask him how he did it if you don't want to feel like a idiot. :p

"especially in the day's were there were few aftermarket pipes available"
The good old days... I remember them... I still have a burn scar on my wrist where it bumped against the just welded pipe. OUCH!

Can I have your stock pipe so I can remold it to what I want.
My friend has a dyno... should only take a week or so.
Parts list; bends, cones, weld wire, and Bandaid's.

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
My pipe for a 200 was a KG-35 (woods). KG-30 is desert (the way I understand it). For a 220, the KG-30 is the Torque and Rev pipe, and for the 200, the KG-35 is torque, KG-30 is rev.

In other words, the KG-30 is what you want for a 220, and you have a choice between more bottom or top end for the 200 between the 35 and 30.

Also to mention, the instructions (like I read them) said KG-35 right at the top.

GS

Jun 29, 2003
After reading your reaction to cc's post I took another look at what he had said. The reply from CC, could be seen as sarcastic...if you aren't familiar with his writing STYLE. Please take the time to read it again...I think you will see that he simply meant to point out that even when a person thinks they know what they have from FMF...guess what...it may still not be what the part number indicates it to be. I see nothing to be offended about.....and I get offended pretty damn easily. Just take another look, you may see what I mean.
Greg

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
sarcastic, upity, sharp witted (subjective)...the correct answer to your question (objective). CC gives correct and objective answers. Upity, sarcastic and implying stupidity would have read, "Do a search on this same subject because I have already answered this question in this forum". You got a precise and correct answer.

Last edited:

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
I was not offended just looking for an answer which I got and appreciate. My pipe is marked as a 20057 which per fmf literature says it is a woods pipe. The measurement data that CC provided tells me it is a 20056 which fmf states is a desert pipe, The -30 or -35 might be an old p/n scheme? I looked all over the pipe and there are no such numbers. Maybe my remarks were out of line or maybe just taken out of context. People generally protect their own. I have gotten great information from this and the ktmtalk forum and appreciate the quick replies from people. Sorry if I offended anyone. If someone routinely writes extra witty replies than good for them and the people who enjoy them. I have answered plenty of questions from beginner level people without trying to make anyone sound stupid. I help people broken down on the trail even if it is do to bad maintenance or self stupidity. Happy trails to all.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…