FMF shorty pipe

RyGuy

May 7, 2006
Is it a good pipe for my kx??
and should I get a fatty pipe along with it??

THanx, Ryen

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
The "shorty" would be the silencer, the Fatty is the pipe
The shorty silencer is designed to give more bottom end hit and quicker revs on short tracks. I guess it depends on what your needs are. Try it and see....!

It also reminds me of an old kindergarten rhyme; "Fatty and shorty went to bed"..........nevermind! :laugh:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
While a shorty silencer will give you more low end power it will also be much louder and Loud Sucks. Look into other ways to increase low end like Carbon Tech low tension reeds or a port job. You can get the engine ported for less or equal to what a new pipe and silencer costs and you may end up still having a place to ride!

06yz

May 2, 2006
RM_guy said:
While a shorty silencer will give you more low end power it will also be much louder and Loud Sucks

What do they say, if it's too loud you're too old. If you want to ride something quiet maybe you should find something w/ pedals. ;)

Junkyard Dog

Mar 31, 2004
You ought to take a look at what happened out here in California on the AMA web site, people complained about the noise and most people cant ride on thier own land and others have severe limitations.

My thanks to Jeremy Mcgrath, the AMA and the parents that showed up to that meeting with their kids to voice the rights of all of us and future riders

please re-think the noisy shorty.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
06yz said:
What do they say, if it's too loud you're too old. If you want to ride something quiet maybe you should find something w/ pedals. ;)
We'll see who has the last laugh. :bang:

kawicam125

Uhhh...
Mar 14, 2006
my friend picked up a 04' kx125 with a gold series FMF fatty pipe and shorty silencer combo. when it revs up, it doesnt sound loud to the rider, but it carries for a pretty far distance. his bike does have tons of low end power, though.

Last edited:
May 8, 2006
yea, but the problem is noise, its too, loud, and there are tons of ways to give the bike more low end power besides the shorty pipe. The Q pipe from fmf is quite and adds power. You could throw an eqtra tooth on the back strocket and get more power. Theres more things, but i'm not gunna sit here nd talk about them all day :blah: But try spending money on ways to gain power without gaining noise as well.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
06yz said:

That's the second post I've seen by you squawking about how there should be no problem with loud. Pull your head out of the sand and realize sound is a problem for all of us who ride, and it's not just in California. I've seen news from all over the US where our sport is being attacked and locked out of long time riding areas because of idiots like you. Let me guess your the guy that runs straight pipes on that compensator you call as street bike as well? :coocoo:

kurt15

May 22, 2006
while noise restriction does tend to limit the bikes capabilities, think of it this way... would you like to ride your loud bike for a short amount of time then get "shut down" due to noise, or instead ride a slightly less powerful quieter bike for a long amount of time. Your decision, but dont come cryin when people start complaining!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…