~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Working on my abilities... :)
comments/critiques welcomed.
fruit_custard_cup.jpg

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Two Comet Strobes, behind and facing away from subject bounced at approx 45 degrees at ceiling and walls. Aluminum foil reflectors on table. Which is also why the blueberries dont look very good.. or they needed something on them. plus they needed some of the water on them taken off.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
The water makes it look like slimey Alien jelly goooo..... YUCK! blach!

The light experiment is kinda neat though..... just been reading on some related topics.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Actaully not a light "experiment" , it's the correct lighting :) or at least best for the room's light dynamics.

In fact I cannot take the credit for the intial light setup,
but I can take the blame for screwing up the Blueberries.
As the evening wore on, the fruit started drying out, it was not looking good :(

For most Food shots the light needs to be flat, i.e., without shadows or range of contrast. It may not be as apparent on a monitor screen, but in print, shadows on food can be kinda ugly.
It can have or need, highlights, but not overt specular highlights.

just saying :)

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Bspeed said:
Actaully not a light "experiment" , it's the correct lighting :) or at least best for the room's light dynamics.

huh. My whole life is an experiment. Thus my choice of words. I have a subject that I wanted to "experiment" with some different lighting to see how it affected what I captured on film. And experiment is the whole fun of it for me.... To see what happens when I try different things. I've never been in any danger of good, let alone perfection, I guess. But you go ahead.

I actually recently read that circular lighting source was a great way to eliminate shadows. Not sure about correctness. A tool. An option. Just something I read.
Bspeed said:
but I can take the blame for screwing up the Blueberries.
As the evening wore on, the fruit started drying out, it was not looking good :(

Credit where credit is due I guess.

Bspeed said:
For most Food shots the light needs to be flat, i.e., without shadows or range of contrast. It may not be as apparent on a monitor screen, but in print, shadows on food can be kinda ugly.
It can have or need, highlights, but not overt specular highlights.

So... the fact that I what I see on my monitor is something that looks like it was gooed on by the Alien things that come out of Sigourney Weaver's chest- that is a good thing or a bad thing in fruit photography? ;)

Bspeed said:
just saying :)
:cool:

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
hehe, well you know there are lots of ways to light things, and everything is different.
shapes, colors, surfaces of different objects require all kinds of attention.
Don't take my posting as saying the position of the lights was cast in stone, its definalty not, although it is a starting point.

Credit..hey, it's a lighting class :)

gooey looking food , yes :) we aint styling it, hehe, I dont take any offense to that at all, or anything for that matter. But I will say I aint taking Sogourny Weaver anywhere.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Bspeed said:
hehe, well you know there are lots of ways to light things, and everything is different.
shapes, colors, surfaces of different objects require all kinds of attention.
Don't take my posting as saying the position of the lights was cast in stone, its definalty not, although it is a starting point.

Bryan Patterson would argue that it is more than that, as would Michael Freeman. I interpreted your statement about one correct way to light based on the room to be pretty limiting based on the things I've read and my approach to life in general. I certainly wouldn't want to be confined by that, but, I'm not doing portraits either.

I doubt people like Vincent Versace and others who use shadow and natural lighting effects limit their thinking to one correct way. Which isn't to say they don't employ lighting tools in all sorts of settings either.

I'm no expert, just offering thoughts on things I've read, which really go against the grain of that "one correct way theme". I appreciate hearing your knowledge on eliminating shadows to enhance effect. It fits nicely with the things I'm reading.

Bspeed said:
it's a lighting class :)

Are you teaching it, or taking it?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom