geir54

Oct 30, 2001
I recently seized my big end rod bearing in my '92 cr 250. How long would it take and how much would it cost if I brought the bottom end down to my dealer for a rebuild. Would they have to buy a new crank (hot rods)? Thanks.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
If the crank and rod are still in good condition then they might not need replacing. It is wise tho is you got the cash, to throw a new rod, main bearings, and seal kit while you have the engine apart. Labor for splitting the cases is alot, around $250-350 depending on the prices. It will take a skilled professional only a a few hours of wrenching to get your motor fixed.

lukaspriest

Jan 19, 2002
CR 500 bottom end

I recently bought a bike that had a detonated piston...I guess it sent some miniscule metal fragments into the lower end...the guys doing my top end for me tell me that it wont really matter for another couple of years or so (as I'm in a CR 500, and they're supposedly damn near indestructible) and that it will run just fine......but that perhaps after 3 years or so, depending on how much I ride it, I'll probably want to have my bottom end rebuilt. I was quoted about 500 bucks on the whole deal, with a new crank. My question is once this is done, is it basically like having a new motor? or will it still be all yucked up from that detonation so long ago? Does anyone have any experience in this?
:think

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
lukapriest, if metal particals fell into your bottomend after piston failure you should have it flushed out. Bottomend life all depends on how you treat your bike. If you keep the fresh and changed oftened, clean filter every time you ride, replaced piston and rings when you should and you'll have no problems.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom