? for the people who've had knee surgery

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
We'll, I'm finally gonna have to do it. I have put it off for too long, and the pain just plain sucks anymore. Both knees hurt, but the MRI showed the left knee was the worst one (as far as torn ligaments go). My surgeon says I should go ahead and have both done (he says I young enough, and the rehab won't be bad :confused: ). But 2 is more $ than 1, ya know what I mean. Anyway, he says it is just a simple outpatient procedure. But I would like to know from some people who ride, what kind of time off from riding I'll be looking at. I know each person is different. But I would like to hear from each person who has had this done. And if anyone has had any drawbacks from it. This will be my first time under, and I'm a little worried I guess you could say. Thanks

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
when I had my knee surgery done I was in a splint for 6 weeks due to a chipped femur. About week 4 the doc told me to take the splint off for an hour or so every day and start doing some mobility excercises (no weight, just bend), anyone who's been in a splint that long knows your muscle turns to nothing, took me about 7 or 8 weeks total to get back up to snuff and even then I had decreased movement due to the nature of the injury. My advice would be not to rush the recovery, let it pick its own timeline.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I had mine done about a year and a half ago. I tore the ACL, MCL and meniscus. I was in surgery for about 2 hours. They used the hamstring for the graft (which seems to be the better way to go but each doc does things differently) and repaired the cartilage too. She did a nerve block which cut down on pain on the top of my leg but not the underneath. I was off it for 5 days and started PT on the following Monday (surgery on a Wednesday). I was down to one crutch after 2 weeks, driving a clutch at 3 or 4 weeks (left knee operated on), and done with crutches entirely by 5 weeks. I wore the brace around for a while after that until I started feeling stable.

I was back on my bike after 3 months with doctor's permission (ride carefully and wear a brace, she said). Initially she said 8-10 months but that was an outside estimate and I worked hard at my physical therapy. I did extra weights on alternating days with PT and stretches and stuff at home. I did start to slack off after 6 months or so and noticed it--it takes a long time to get from "working condition" to "100 percent." And when I get tired I still put more weight on my right leg.

Overall, I was happy with the way it turned out. I mean it was not fun (except the oxycontin and vicodin, woo hoo) but it's far, far better than letting it go on and get worse.

Keep us informed on how it goes!

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Well crap :debil: . It sounds like the float trip I was suppose to be on, in the Northern Tier is going to be a no go (in June). Man it was suppose to be fun. 100 miles of floating and portaging (sp). Mabey if I hit the PT really hard, mabey. I just hope I'm ready to ride for Dirtweek.
But my Dr. must be nuts. He said I would be ready to go back to work 2 weeks after teh surgery. Mabey I better look into a different Dr.

grackle

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 2, 2003
It is all going to depend on how hard you rehab, your bodies ability to heal itself, and how good your doctor is. 

For starters, get yourself a doctor with plenty of experience and who is using the most modern techniques.  I had both my knees done at different times, by different doctors.  The second time around I was better informed and searched out a doctor with a background in sports medicine.  He did a much better job.  I healed faster, and that knee has no indication (other than a couple small scars) that a surgery was ever performed.

I would guess that 6-8 months is a safe bet, but that # can be skewed several months in either direction depending on your dedication to your rehab.

Good luck!!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
What do you do for work? It depends how quickly you can return. Since I was at BBR (with a semi-desk type job) when I had mine done, I was at work 5 days later. I just wheeled myself around in my desk chair and made the guys carry stuff for me. ;)

Most docs want you as active as soon as possible, since it speeds the healing time. Gone are the days of being immobilized in a brace for weeks. You might be in PT only a few days later, or you might even go home with a Constant Passive Motion machine that moves your leg for you. My doc didn't like them but many do. She did send me home with a sheet of exercises to start on right away but I can't say as I was real motivated to do many of them.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Mine was not an out-patient.. Tore ACL, LCL, PCL and Meniscus in the rt knee. They opened up the left knee to harvest a petellar graft and some other parts. Doc had me on he crutches the same day but my god did it hurt.

Sitting to go to the bathroom post-op knee surgury x 2 sucked for about 2 months. Doc told me 9 months. However at 3 months I was running and working out. Rode at 6 months to the day with permission if I wore the Asterisk.

I am guessing your knee is a little less severe than FC's or mine due to the out patient process... if he is just scoping it you 6-8 weeks.. If he is going to filet you look at 3-9 months. I have no idea what they are going to fix in your knee but my rehab was painful as Hell, but every bit of effort I put in made it easier the next session.

My right knee is still questionable in my head.. I favor the left but strength and endurance is 100% pre-op if not more. My knees will never be the same though, they hurt after riding and I can forget kneeling...

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I was 16 and still healed fast, but it was ridless for around 6 weeks. I had a cast on for almost half of that time and I couldn't bend it for awhile after getting it off.

Good Luck!

Kevin

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Thump

I am guessing your knee is a little less severe than FC's or mine due to the out patient process...

Mine was outpatient, actually. I went in at 8 am, got a shot of the good stuff at 9, lights out by 10. Woke back up somewhere between 12 and 1 in the afternoon and Mommy took me home and took care of me for 5 days. If you have to be in pain and all gimpy, you might as well do it somewhere they bring you juice and 7 up and soup and rent lots of movies for you.

Actually I could never have sorted out which pills to take when all by myself. I was on 2 different painkillers (oxycontin and percoset), muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatories, anti-nausea, antibiotics and Aspirin. :aj:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
What exactly are they planning to fix? As Thump said if they have to "filet" you it will be extensive recovery time. My last knee repair was just a small tear to the meniscus and PCL which they did by scope. It was in the winter so I'm not sure about riding but I was back on skates playing hockey 7 weeks later.

If they give you a choice I would opt for the spinal instead of general anaesthetic. Was kind of neat to watch the Doc work and get a play by play while you watched on the monitor. Also reduces some of the risks of general anaesthetic.

Last edited:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I've only had the scoping done on both knees for cartilage tears. First one i back to normal in 5 weeks and second one only took 3 weeks. The first one they put me in a straight leg cast for the first 4 days while the second one i was in a flexible brace. The difference in being able to slightly move the leg the first few days was amazing in the recovery time.

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
Which of course is why he has lost favor in the DRN empire :p
Oh... I'll kneel... if the Empire is on their elbows. :yeehaw:

And Chili... I agree about the spinal... BUT when they whip out the Makita drill and the SS Bit, begin going throught your femur and you see parts of bone flying and stuff it aint good to be awake yanno? At that point I looked at the anesthesiologist and said "time to go bye-bye"

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Mine is just cartilage tears. So I hope recovery time with some good PT will get me back in the saddle pretty quick. One reason why I don't look forward to this is because of the pain after the surgery. I can't take any painkillers without vomiting 5 minutes later. I couldn't take anything when I broke my last bone, and that sucks.
Well, mabey one thing good can come out of this. Mabey I can find some kind of knee brace that my insurance will cover.That might be a good investment :cool:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Mine wasn't outpatient either, mine was a reconstructive surgery which was made necessary by an accident. General anesthesia was alright in my case, didn't make me sick the first time, but the two operations I had on my hand the general made me sick both times (not fun to wake up from surgery with a tube down your throat and them telling you it was necessary to keep you from choking).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000

Aaaack . . . yucky. No freaking way. I don't want to see it, hear it or know about it.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Wraith, dont worry about he pain if its just cartilage. You said you've broken a bone so the pain from scoping is about 25% less than the broken bone. I cant take pain killers either or i get sick too. I popped a pill at the hospital and then that was it. Now when i broke my ankle i popped 9 pills to make the 25 hour drive home from Dirtweek. After that i took one whenever the pain got too unbareable. Now i can tolerate pain pretty good so depending on your on your tolerance it might hurt more. Hardest part after the scoping was when they make you bend your knee and walk for the first time. The doctor basically had to bend mine for me because couldnt. It hurt like hell but felt better once it was bendable again.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Oh yeah, with the scoping my schedule went like this. Friday surgery and a soft cast/brace til monday. Then bend the knee and start walking. Within a week i started PT for 4 weeks. Within 3 weeks your knee will be better than before the surgery and able to do basically everything you did before. It does get alittle sore after trenous activities, just ice down afterwards.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Repairing the cartilage is FAR less intrusive, and far less painful. Depending on how big a piece (s) they have to repair, you won't be down for nearly as long as those of us with ACL or other ligament tears.

The bad thing is that damaged cartilage causes arthritis--at the ripe old age of 24 I already have it in both knees. :( Oh well! I can still ride!

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Dont worry FC! I saw a program where they are now using Stainless steel cartilage implants now. Probably what i'll have to have in afew years as both my knees need cleaning again after 3 years and 5 years.

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Man, I feel a little more at ease. I guess I should feel lucky, that mine wasn't as bad as some of your guys. All I can say is, "Better you than me". :uh:
No, just kidding. I'm just paranoid about going under the knife. Like most people I hate giving the "controls" to someone other than myself. One of those guy things I guess :confused: Anyway, May 5th will be a interesting day. Thanks for all the input you guys.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000

It's not necessarily a guy thing. Or, maybe I just suffer from some of the same egomaniacal traits as many guys do. :eek:

I had myself worked up into such a state right before mine, it was a good thing they don't let you eat before hand. That is probably why they don't, so they don't have to clean up the pre-OR room (whatever it is called) It took 2 nurses 10 minutes to get my IV started--everytime she pointed that needle towards my arm, I jerked back and said "Wait I'm not ready yet." Finally it took another nurse to hold my arm and distract me. Then they gave me the fun stuff and it was all good. :confused:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Wraith after dirtwek I needed a complete rebuild in my left knee. My injury was a blown ACL torm MCL and Lat. The miniscus was torn, the tibula was cracked, and the femur bruised. I was off work (not much use for a one legged fat old cop) for all of Oct. Returned top work for Nov- had PT for both months) Then surgery Dec 3.
My surgery was outpatient and they used a hamstring to replace the ACL. I was on crutches for 2 weeks but in a brace for 5 weeks. My problem post surgery was the result of an allergy to the screws they used to anchor the ACL implant and pin the tibula together. I couldn't regain the mobility and was fighting swelling until they reopened the whole knee January 30th. This was afull open surgury (outpatient again) but once the screws were out I was back to work within 2 weeks.
Right now post surgery (2nd round) about 9 weeks I would say I am at 80- 90 % preinjury. I can run on it and this week on vacation swam alot (altho using fins a couple days did hurt) with no adverse affects. I found that bicycling is a great way to keep it moving .

Wraith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Man, I would have never guessed a person could have allergies to a screw :eek: . But bicycling does sound like a great idea. i better dust off the old seat on the Stingray :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…