gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
so i'll try and make this as short as possible. i bout a '03 CR250 list year (showa forks), and decided it was time to change the fork oil. and in the process, i broke the compression adjuster bolt (bought whole new fork cap after this ride). i decided to go ride anyway. well my forks started banging, like then were tryin to pull apart. a few minutes later i adjusted the dampers and it worked fine, except my forks started leaking. so when i got home i tried to pull the dust seal down and clean the oil seal, but my dust seal wouldn't come out. so i ended up havin to tear it apart. so i took my forks apart, cleaned, and re-assembled w/ new dust & oil seals, and oiled them.

so i decided to test them, by just puttin my own body weight on them and see how they worked. one fork that i didn't break the compression adjust worked fine, the one that did break, is makin a weird noise (and i had the new fork cap in). the noise sounds similar to the fork bang i was having. but obviously not as loud cuz there's not as much load. but it's hard to discribe a noise, but it didn't sound like the other fork.

does any1 know what this is, or had this happen to them? could it be a warn out bushing? they looked fine but this was my first time doin this. the only thing i think it could be is that the oil seal isn't up far enough. it was pretty hard for me to get the snap ring in on this one, and maybe i didn't bang the bushing up far enought.

any thoughts would be great! but don't say take it to a perfessional if u haven't ever worked on forks. i hate that when people that don't work on bikes say, "take it to a professional and leave it alone." i love learnin and workin on my bike, don't care if it cost me more...i enjoy it.

thanks!!!

mickyboyracer

Jun 23, 2008
had a similar problem on my 05 rm125 which has showa forks, it was like a knocking noise through the stroke. mine was a oil seal gone in the inner chamber (rebound) it was just a basic o-ring which i replaced out of an o ring set. also when you changed the oil in your forks did you bleed the reboud chambers?? and how much oil did you put in the inner and outer chambers??

gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
ya know when they tell ya to turn the compression/rebound adjusters all the way out? well i guess i did that on one, but not the other. so when i compressed 1 of them, it fell up and slammed, while the other slowly came up.

and i talked to the guys at the local shop, and they said that's just how twin chambers sound. so i'm just gonna throw them back on my bike and see how they work out. should be done in the next few days, so if any1 cares i'll post back.

but thanx for the idea, even though i think my o-rings were fine, it's somethin i'll have to remember if i hear a nose.

Top Bottom