wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Seems to have been a good move. The bike is 2 yrs old and I thought it could've waited a year, but when I emptied the forks the original oil was thicker than heavy gear oil. Im talkin honey thick - probly why they recovered so slow. The maxima 5w I put in seemed like water. When compressing a fork leg by hand, a crisp difference. So to all those w/new to slighly used bikes, give it a go....

Hey, can I lower the forks to accomidate my 5'7"ness?

jc

Sep 22, 2001
I have lowered my dads kdx about one inch by dropping the forks in the triple clamps. Worked good, quickens the steering slightly. Two years no probs.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Same here on the fork oil. My stock oil came out like brown snot. It was seriously disgusting. I cannot imagine how the forks were even functioning.

New springs - new oil - new bike.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Hey guys how many litres does it take to do the forks?
One litre enough or?

I want to make sure I buy the right amount to set up my new gold valves, and heavier springs ;-)

Thanks,
Phil

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
1tontj you will have to buy 2 litres and use about 1.4

Just installed .40 springs with 5w oil....what a difference !
As moridin says "New springs - new oil - new bike."

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I believe you can run about 1/2" down in the tripple clamps. Just be sure you clear the front fender when forks compressed otherwise its a rude, rude situation. You must adjust the sag in the rear accordingly to keep the handling balanced. I have run mine this way for two years and like it, but I am old and slow anyway.

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
just changed my fork oil as well, according to the service manual and to the amount that came out it is about 530ml of oil per fork, it is just over half a bottle (liter)

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
11-6 Suspension(Service Manual)

530ml approx.

Front fork oil level(fully compressed w/o fork spring):

standard 87+- 2mm
usuable range 85-100mm

...mm from top of fork tube to oil level - measure through the center of the tube, not down the side.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom