Fork Oil change

knovello

Mar 5, 2007
I just picked up a basically unused 98 KDX 200 to start racing Hare Scrambles again. Unfortunatly I dont have a manual for the bike and I am wondering how to drain the fork oil and what the recommended oil height should be. I didnt see a oil drain screw at the bottom of the fork, so does that mean the fork legs need to come off to drain them??? I know that the stock springs are realllllllyyy soft, but I'd like to try a heavier weight oil and increasing the oil volume first, before I spend the money on new springs.
I am 5'10"/200lbs with gear/former A class enduro/HS racer, and live/race in colorado so the courses are a bit on the faster side.
Thanks in advance for your response!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have never seen a drain screw at the bottom of a fork. Typically, you pull the front end apart, open the fork up enough to remove the spring, dump it out and pump the push rod many times to get it all, compress the fork completely, fill the fork to the top, pump the push rod a bunch more to fill the air pockets and cartridge (if there is one). If it is an inverted fork you need to make su that you get oil between the tubes as well. Set the level with the spring removed and the fork compressed, then put it all back together.

knovello

Mar 5, 2007
Thanks for the reply. The only "traditional" style forks I've owned were a 88 yz 250 and my bmw 650 both of which have drain screws at the bottom.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
There is no drain screw on your forks. You have right-side-up cartridge-style forks on your '98. To change fork oil you have to remove forks from the triple clamps, unscrew the top, and go from there. Search this forum, and you'll find lots of details. I don't have my manual in front of me, so from memory the oil level should be 95-100mm from the top.

I really think you are wasting your time and money by delaying the inevitable purchase of heavier springs, but that's just my humble opinion. If you plan to keep the stock forks, then heavier springs and compression stack shim mod are the way to go. Another alternative is a complete KX fork swap. Again, there are already lots of threads on this forum about that subject too.

Congrats on your new bike, and best of luck to you!

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Yes, go ahead and get some stiffer fork springs. Check the spring rate calculator at the www.mx-tech.com site. It should be .42 or .44, I think. It will take more than too heavy fork oil to make the forks well for you, especially on some faster course out in the open areas.

Good luck!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…