Fork Oil

HartaMan

Jul 22, 2002
Q: changing fork oil on my 92' KDX250 (upside down Kayaba fork).I weigh around 85 kg (~ 170lbs). how much oil should I out in each leg ?

thanks a'pleanty

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
use 5w oil in them.

Basically remove the spring, collapse the fork and fill up to 4.5" from the top.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah..it's not a good idea to go with the volume of oil idea. That means you have to have the SAME about of oil in the forks to start with..and that isn't likely unless you had them completely apart for sleeves, seals, valves, etc.

That's why the 'oil level' method works better. Set that by using a syringe with a piece of tubing attached to extend to the desired level.

I use a 100mm (4 inches) level, but.... to each his own.

munich

Jul 29, 2002
I just changed the oil in my forks. No fancy tools handy so I took a piece of tubing about the same diamater as the carb vent tubes and cinched a tie wrap 120mm up. Then i siphoned the excess from the forks back in to the bottle. I had the tubing laying around the garage so cost was nothing.

FOG

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
huge syringes can be had at a feed store that carries horse supplies. They are only a couple bucks each. I got a syringe, piece of flexible tubing and a length of clear plastic rigid tubing. Ya take a block of wood, drill a hole that the rigid tube fits snuggly in, attatch the flexible tube and syringe to it. You have a great tool for about three bucks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…