jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I have a 1993 KX250 and my fork seals are starting to leak. I've never done changed fork seals before. Does anyone know how to fix this, and should I do it, or should I send it away to be done? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I read this here and it works.

Use a film negative and slide it up between the seal and the tube and clean it out. Dirt gets in there and causes it to leak. keep sliding the negative in until it comes out clean. If it continues to leak, then the seal is bad and needs to be replaced.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
Good idea! Never thought of that, always just replaced them. Wonder how many hours I could have saved. Matter of fact... I am going to try that afternoon.. Been putting off seals for a while.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
If those fork seals & wipers were really caked with mud youd better take them apart or else youll just be pushing the grit upward into the fork bushings ,wears them out ,and then it gets more expensive . You know alot of times you can reuse seals after you clean them well but on most occasions its best practice just to replace them .

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
the first thing i would do is try to find out why your seal is leaking.is there a nick in your lower fork leg? if so your seal is toasted and u need to replace it as well as repair or replace the lower leg.if the lower leg is fine pry the dust seal down and blast it with sum contact cleaner and yes u can gently slide some film or a very thin feeler gauge under your seal and oil may push out any grit that may be causing your seal to leak.this is at best a temporary fix and something to do in emergencies on race day the mx-tech web site will show u how to pull your forks apart

Top Bottom