Fork setup Question

dbarn

Oct 30, 2000
I'm an owner of a 2000 KDX220. I'm in the market for updating the forks. From what I can tell they are stock still.
I've scanned through this forum glancing at all the threads on shims/stacks/springs and I'm kind of confused. I know these have all been beat with the ol ugly stick, but when I do make the adjustments, I would like to do it right the first time.
FRP-says that since I weigh around 180, I should go for the .38kg/mm springs.
RaceTech-says that I need closer to .40-.42kg/mm.
I do mostly woods riding, anything from technical to fire roads.
I have also seen an add somwhere on FRP saying to use 21 lb springs. This confused me even more.
I'm pretty sure that I'm going to stick with FRP for the springs, and looking into purchasing Gold Valve Kit from RaceTech.
I am concerned that RT's .40-.42 springs may be too stiff for me. FRP's .38 sound better.
Some of you may ask why not just get the .38 springs from RT?? I'm afraid of getting the .38 springs from RaceTech because the springs may be different (thinner/softer, in which case a .40-.42 from RT would be equal to a .38 from FRP).

Has anyone experienced this confusion besides myself??
Should I just listen to what RaceTech suggests?

Any suggestions and/or shim arragements would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! As the whole shim task will be new for me. I have worked on forks before, just not with shims.

Thanks again, and sorry so long!!!!!!!

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
After experimenting with a few setups i finally went with the Fredette setup. For hardcore woods riding it has been nothing but spectacular. A 21lb spring as Jeff calls translates to .37-.38kg. Little soft on mx track but awesome in woods. Much stiffer will beat you to death on trails unless you can ride like a A rider. Get the RaceTech GV from Fredette and he will set the shim stack up for you, tied with a zip tie and ready to drop in. Its really an easy install. Really easy. One thing I learned is that you will ask the same question and get 20 different answers from different folks like RaceTech, etc. Nobody...nobody had even the same setup ideas. That confused me and aggravated me even more. Who else has done 21 ISDE's besides Jeff that is setting up KDX suspensions? Who should know better than him? No one in my book. The xr400 springs at .40kg work quite well also ( I have some for sale with 2 hours on them $70 incl shipping). User "Sage" around here also had some good/similar ideas on fork setups you might give him a call.

dbarn

Oct 30, 2000
Braahp,

Thanks alot for the helpful info. I am going to hold off and think about it for awhile while my back heals. (Slight injury)

Will keep you in mind when I decide to purchase.

Thanks!!!!! :aj:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I went with MX Tech. I have some pretty tricked out forks and they work really well. I rode a stock 2002 KTM E/XC and I liked my suspension action much better. Give Jeremy a call. I've got New springs, revalve, midvalves and rebound dampening added to them. They are awfully good and the bike can rail some nasty stuff.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
racetech is usually one rate stiff cause they rec a spring that goes with their gold valve when u run their program online keep that in mind

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
You can put a lot of time and money into your forks. I went with Race Tech's .42's, and I weigh 180. It depends where you ride. I ride in the desert, in higher gears, and need stiffer springs to handle "the big ones" that sneak up on me. I'm sure in the woods you would probably want to go a little softer. I know the RT's are WAY stiffer than stock, but I like it. I'm sure Gold Valves would help even more, but stock ones work fine.

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i'm 200lbs and have eibach .41s and gold valves (put them in myself). i ride mx and these are very stiff. i would go with the softer ones per fredette's recommendation for woods - no question. i think he told me he weighed about 175 so pretty close to you. he should know

if he sends you the shims all zipped up and ready to install that will save you about an hours time and lots of headscratching. i can promise you that. plus he is much more helpful on the phone if you have other questions and have purchased from him.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
I'm about 180 also, and although my main love is trails I also get out on the MX track regularly (got a 7 yr old in juniors - gotta keep him company!).

I went with the Eibach .41 - its supurb on the MX track, just a little hard on the trail but to make up for that I use a light oil and adjust the compression dampening to the soft end. It's a great compromise and I like my front end a little stiff anyway cause I reckon it makes it feel a bit more positive when you rail it.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I have one of jeff's bike. and it has the race tech stuff in it .40 gold valve. I weigh 210 and the .40 seem a bit stiff for the woods

dbarn

Oct 30, 2000
To all,

Thanks guys on the input!!!! This will really help when I make the decision. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with FRP for the springs and Gold Valve kit. Hope to attempt the install myself though.

I'll let the forum know how it all truns out.

Thanks Again for all the help!!!!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…