David M

Nov 28, 2002
Wanted to change the oil in the forks, and started taking them apart and this is what I found (To see a photo you have to go to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Kawasaki-KDX/ when at the site go to photo's, then click on the folder called "Pam's KDX and it's the photo called KDX fork springs). Is this normal? One Spring is short with a spacer and one is longer with no spacer. I've never seen anything like that before.

Is there any way to attach a photo here, 'cause if there is, I sure can't see how?

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
there is nothing at that link

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't know about the photo...didn't look at it.

But...

IF you have springs of different lengths, you do NOT put them in with the SAME preload spacer. That's obvious, right?

From what you said, it seems that a failed set of springs (one of them on the way to likely total failure via breakage) was used in lieu of buying another set. BUT, at least there was some attempt to get the preload right (that based only on the 'different spacer' comment. Heck..it might still be all screwed up!)

So?

Now you have something to fix! Great!!!

Did I mention using hot-wound oem springs..NOT aftermarket cold-wound?

Ha..no, I didn't. But I am now! Get some (hot-wound) springs. Call mx-tech, or check out their website. Read what jeremy sez about the whole process.

Your 'pam' will love you for it!!! Can't beat that!

You can simply attach a photo to this forum simply by following the following:

LINK

Cheers!

+++edit+++

OK. I couldn't resist. I tried to look at the pic. I think there's a clue that 'photos' is under a heading that sez 'members only'. Gee. Ya think?

Anyway...it don't work.

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
It worked for me, but then again I'm a member there too, so I sent the pic to CC.
I don't know how to post photos here. I can't use the WYSIWYG posting engine with my Mac.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Ha!

Someones' foolin' with ya!

I don't know what the point would be of having springs of such hugely different lengths. One looks like an OEM 470mm, the other a 530mm or so. Obviously it is not a matter of spring fatigue...I hope!

That would be LOT of saggin' goin' on!

Can't tell from the pic, but they don't even look close to the same wire! Well, so what. If you're going to hash up a setup like this, who cares what's going on.

Maybe two of the same (shorter) was too little...and two of the same (longer) was too big...and one of each was just right!

I have no idea.

Springs are chosen according to rider weight and requirements of their particular riding style.

Although...some bike forks have one (leg) that has compression and one (leg) that has rebound control. My SC has an anti-dive fork system.... on one leg.

re: pics

Don't reply via 'quick reply, but via the 'post reply' button. That gives you the choice of posting a pic.

Like this!

Attachments

• kdx+fork+springs.jpg
    kdx+fork+springs.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 189

David M

Nov 28, 2002
Thanks for posting the picture. No, it's not sag. These springs are very different. When you put them side by side, the short one with the spacer is the same lenth as the long one by itself. The long one is stiffer too. The spacer that is with the shorter spring is shown or mentioned in the manual, so I'm starting to think the longer spring is aftermarket.

Probably the best thing to do here is just replace the whole mess with 2 new springs (and spacers?) I'll check into the hot rolled vs. cold rolled - thanks for the heads up there, I never knew about that.

This is turning into one trick bike. Pam put in a top end (Wiseco piston), Boyesen power reeds, and it came with: FMF Torque pipe and a spare Rev pipe, Renthal bars, bark busters, a Panoram computer, + we put in new swingarm bearings, rebuilt shock, and now new fork springs. My XR650R is starting to get lost in the shadows.

The good news (ha ha) is that I broke my foot and now have 6 weeks to work on the bikes. Waited all winter and now I can't ride.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I've got a set of stock '02 220 springs and spacers sitting on my bench waiting for a buyer. $40.00

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom