Fork springs

twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
Has anyone tried putting the .33 fork springs from a 1988 KDX into
an 89-94 KDX? I got this tip from justkdx under the Fredette section. Also will a quart of fork oil be enough for an oil change?

Thanks

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Not I
Yes

I don't think 15 year old .33's will be all that much better than .31's from a '91 or there abouts, might not be much value unless you weigh 140# or so.

You could call Jeff for some .35 'take offs' from '95-up bikes, thats what I did and the difference was remarkable, and good enough for my spodely pace.

twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
Thanks Gearloose. I weigh around 155. I was using the recommendations from Fredette site. The .33 springs would be new. I had thought about .35's
but I did not see any at Fredettes. I do not want to make the bike to harsh for the woods.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I have .35 from 2001 KDX 200 that I replaced and will be glad to sell you. Interested? Email jtharrislv@aol.com.

Speaking of fork springs--I put XR springs in mine like CC and others suggested and it made a new Motorcycle! A shade tree mechanic told my riding buddy he could get the same result by increasing the preload (longer spacers) in the stock forks. I know this is not right, but some techie please explain so I can convince my buddy.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Increasing preload raises ride height, until you comprimise downward travel, then your front wheel is spending less time on the ground and the forks are banging against the lower stops.
More preload doesn't increase the spring rate, (within the usable range of free sag) so it still feels soggy.
The primary mission for preload is to set proper unlaiden sag. The rate determines how much further it sags with you on it, as well as deflection under load.

I don't think .35 would be too harsh for you twocycle.

Last edited:

twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the .35's from Fredette earlier. Can't
wait to try them.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'A shade tree mechanic told my riding buddy he could get the same result by increasing the preload (longer spacers) in the stock forks..'

That's a shade tree mech that's been in the sun too long!

Guy 1 (showing off his recently re-cammed 2.4l mustang 4cyl. powerhouse): 'This runs pretty good!'

Guy 2 (a shade tree mechanic on the days there is shade): 'Yanno, you could turn that into a hemi if you ran two plug wires to each cylinder!'

More directly put, anyone who thinks adding preload is the same as proper installation of the proper spring is a moron.

Gearloose already posted the intelligent response..I just thought I'd gripe some...

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I'm not a moron, I put in the correct springs with the correct preload and came out a winner!

In answer to someone's question, the 2001 KDX200 stock springs I took out are 18.5 inches long (which is stock length). I still have them available if anyone wants: email jtharrislv@aol.com

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I think jason is after the length of your xr springs.....

Winning is good...........;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…