KDXBADASS

Dec 14, 2014
Merced, Ca
Just got back from doing some trail riding on my KDX200 1996. I put in late model XR400 fork springs in. Ran the 5wt fork oil 100 mm from the top with about 10 mm of pre-load. And WOW what a difference. I love this bike!!!!! Night and day difference from the stock POS's that were in it. I changed the bars too and it feels like a completely different bike. I can't recommend fork mod enough!!!!! Got a lot of help and ideas from this forum. Couldn't have done it without you all.
Thanks,
Randy

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Noticed you are from California. Is your riding in tight woods or the more open terrain? Would be interested to hear how this modification works in the eastern woods riding areas.

Mully

KDXBADASS

Dec 14, 2014
Merced, Ca
Noticed you are from California. Is your riding in tight woods or the more open terrain? Would be interested to hear how this modification works in the eastern woods riding areas.

Mully
I ride in the open desert and woods. I just rode with my new fork mods up in the woods. The trails I rode Sunday were pretty tight woods with down trees and deep ruts and rocks. Not sure what the trails are like back east. But for the tight stuff I rode in it was awesome!!!! . The trail was closed with a down tree and I fell over into a poison oak bush. Not awesome.... LOL Got poison oak bad. Oh well. The desert has some really rocky washes that I can hardly wait to try too. 100 percent improvement everywhere.

KylePeterson

Apr 8, 2015
Just got back from doing some trail riding on my KDX200 1996. I put in late model XR400 fork springs in. Ran the 5wt fork oil 100 mm from the top with about 10 mm of pre-load. And WOW what a difference. I love this bike!!!!! Night and day difference from the stock POS's that were in it. I changed the bars too and it feels like a completely different bike. I can't recommend fork mod enough!!!!! Got a lot of help and ideas from this forum. Couldn't have done it without you all.
Thanks,
Randy

please list the fork spring rates, and all the details you can in your post. i'm debating selling my ktm suspension to upgrade the kdx stuff, and the more info the merrier

thanks !

KDXBADASS

Dec 14, 2014
Merced, Ca
I used 2002 XR400 fork springs which I believe are 42kg. I put the 5wt fork oil 100 mm from the top of forks with the springs out and collapsed. I cut a little less than a 1/4" X 1" diameter pvc tube for a preload spacer. Night and day difference. Set my clickers at 16 out. I weight 210lbs naked. I ride with full gear and camel back with water and some tools. Not sure what total weight is. Hope this helps
Thanks,
Randy

Top Bottom