Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Picked up a decent (i.e., running) kdx80 for my son who has outgrown his XR70 and is ready to move up to a clutch. For $250 it was a good buy, even if does need a little work.

One of the things I wanted to do is to put a set of KX80 forks on it. Primarily to get him a disc brake up front, but the improved suspension would be nice as well.

I picked up the forks, triple tree, and brakes for $99 off eBay (that included shipping).

I'll have to shorten the forks a bit and slide them up in the tree, but I think I can keep the length close to what the KDX had stock.

What is causing a bit more of a problem is finding a 16" rim to lace to the KX hub. The stock KDX rim has 32 spokes. The stock KDX hub has 28.

I can find 32H hubs, but they are spendy and way overkill for this application. I would like to keep the 16" wheell size, but I could be talked out of it.

Will a 17" wheel affect the steering geometry much? Any negative side effects?

I'm going to be hard pressed to keep the bike's stance close to stock as it is given the KX forks are longer. I haven't received them yet, so I don't know how much travel I have to work with. I'd like to keep the 5" of stock travel and I think the forks are 4 or 5 inches longer, so I need at least 8" of travel in the KX forks to accomplish that (I can slide them up about 1" and remove 3 " of travel).

Anyone know of other hubs that will work that are 32H? Or a source for rims? I tried Excel and DID, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

mag

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom