Fork tube knick.. is there a cheap fix?

jaredr

May 10, 2003
I have a 94 kdx250 and the fork tube was knicked at some point in the distant past. The knick actually removed a small piece of chrome plating so the tube has rusted in that spot, which is about 2" from full compression. It's not very much (1/4" diameter) but it's probably enough to keep wiping out fork seals. Is there fix besides replacing the fork tube?

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
How about wet sanding it with 360 or 320 grit "wet or dry" sandpaper. Then finish it with 600 or 800 grit wet until smooth as glass. You'll have to feather it out until smooth. Apply a little grease to it to keep it from rusting.

You can get the sandpaper at a local auto parts store. I use 3M "Wet or Dry"only.

There will always be a low spot there, so the seals may leak when they go over that spot.

Good luck!

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
And, if it's seeping oil I'd try a little dab of JB Weld --it's marvelous stuff. Clean out the rust with a sharp needle or something similar, then degrease the area really well with an organic solvent. warm the fork tube and apply enough JBW to fill the void. After it's cured --24hrs -- carefully sand it down as was mentioned in an above post using the wet or dry paper [sand it wet]
If the forks are still on the bike - fill the hole with just enough JBW, then put a piece of tape over it. This will keep the stuff in place AND give it the same outer shape as the tube -requiring much less sanding.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Don't think I'd want to sand a surface that's meant to be polished and is already undersized. Might want to try buffing with appropriate compund especaily around sharp edges of scratch (look at with magnifying glass).
When MX Tech did my forks they were able to buff out some scrathces that I thought would shorten seal life. Build up with JB Weld or Marine Tex epoxy sounds good if you can create smooth enough finish.

Top Bottom