Forks- Top clicker problems

bkaphoto

Sep 16, 2002
I have a '93 kx250 and recently replaced o-rings and seals, now I can't adjust my compression because the clickers just "keep-on-clicken"! All day long, I can turn them in either direction! What did I do wrong?
I took all the precautions during disassembly and rebuild. I went completely by the manual.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The top adjuster is the rebound on the KYBs.

When you fit the cap onto the threaded damper rod you need to set the rebound adjuster full soft, then the nut that goes ontop of the spring guide needs to be wound down finger tight-then screw the fork cap on until it meets the nut ontop of the spring guide.

What has happened is the nut ontop of the spring guide has wound up the thread and not allowed the cap to seat onto the rebound rod.Or you are missing the rebound rod extension tube.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Hello BKAPHOTO On your KX KYB you have the comp adjuster on the botton and the rebound is on top . The problems that youre experiencing could be the result not having the pushrod installed correctly or the small push rod actuator is upside down (thick side down skinny side up) or the damper rod retaining nut is up too far and the adjuster mechanism is out of reference (when you tightened the fork cap it wasnt screwed down far enough on the damper rod threads) Dependibng on year you could have the retaining not on upside down on thr rod . Or maybe the adjusters are just stripped out (not probable espescially if they worked before . There is also a longer stronger sturdier damper rod nut you could purchase from racetech or others that will help keep the d/rods from breaking at the base of the threads .Maybe you could look up an exploded view on buy kawasaki .com to get a definite answer how it gets assembled . I think they also have the manual exploded there too . GOOD LUCK DEAN P.S. Dont ride it because you could have the whole fork assy come apart if its not assembled correcly . Or at the very least strip out or break the damper rod or fork caps . PEACE OUT

bkaphoto

Sep 16, 2002
Dean, You suggest that the retaining nut might not be down far enough, the manual calls for the champfer side down. I noticed that I have no champfer side, and my measurement from the top of the rod to the nut did not meet the 18.5mm recommendation. Could these be improper replacement nuts? I have no reference for OEM nut thickness.
As far as assembly, ... wait....Looking at the manual, I think that the collar is on the spring guide wrong. Should the collar go on top of the guide or on top of the little 3/4" long ext. tube? The diagram seems to have it as 1. spring guide 2. collar 3. ext tube 4. nut! Would this make a difference?! I have 2 & 3 reversed!

bkaphoto

Sep 16, 2002
Marcus, could you explain your reply. sorry, but I am quite the novice at this stuff! Thanks

bkaphoto

Sep 16, 2002
okay, after reviewing the diagram, I find that I have assembled the fork with the pieces in proper order. Although the order is correct, I think it is either that the push rod nut is too tall (thus causing the shortfall from the top) or that I didn't have the adjusting nut to full soft setting, (thus causing it to be out of reference).
So, Which is it, and how do I fix it?
Man, all of this just so I can give my Insurance Co. another reason to up my premium!?!?!?
Thanks for all of Your help, it means a great deal to me!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sorry i was just saying yes if you had the parts reversed it would cause a problem.
I think you didnt have the push rod nut down far enough-if the threads on the damper rod have any thread lock on them the nut will runscrew and meet the cap.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
On pre 93s I think they had a regular nuton newer ones they had a nut with a real deep body and only partially threaded. You just may have different nuts but cant say for sure . If you had the spring guides on wrong the compression adjuster might not work because the plastic parts as an assembly may be too long and not setting the D/R nut in the correct location as MARCUSGUMBY said . If youre nuts are only threaded on one end you will want to install them with the thrreaded side up butting up against the fork cap . Maybe your forks have been subject to a previos act of motorcycle terrorism and youll need to decipher what the cause is IE: wrong or changed parts from different years , incorrect assembly etc. Im sure you will figure it out , then it will all become clear . Good Luck

bkaphoto

Sep 16, 2002
Thanks alot guys, I'm sure I'll get it fixed. Probably just have to start by ordering some OEM nuts and whatever else looks funny! It will make the chicken taste better!!!

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Maybe ask about those race tech nuts , They keep the D/Rs from brreaking . Which may be your next obstacle .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…