back at it

Mar 30, 2002
I am at my 6th week with an ankle and fibula fracture. The ankle had to be pinned and they just put me into a walking cast for another 4 1/2 weeks. Doc says bones are not mending as well as they should. (I dont smoke). My question is, have any of you taken any kind of calcium suppliments and do you think they help?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Sorry to hear about your break. How did you do it? I'm always looking to learn from other people's injuries! :scream:

I broke a collar bone (2 places) about 3 weeks ago. Fell off dirt bike, going fairly slow, after my front end washed out over the top of a berm. Landed on helmet/shoulder, and did a half somersault.

Won't go in for my follow-up x-ray until 7/1/02, so don't really know how good it's healing. Problem is that you can't stabilzie a collarbone break with a cast, so it moves around more than you want.

I have been taking calcium / magnesium supplements, in addition to a multi-vitamin I've always taken. Don't know if it helps, but figured it can't hurt.

- Bill

back at it

Mar 30, 2002
My injuries happened the day after i picked up my new bike (which i have not even been on yet) and my sons new bike .
I took my son (9 yrs old) and his freind out for some trail riding just to do some break-in on the new bike.
Like a good dad I got the video camera out near the end of day for some pics on his new bike. I happen to be sitting on the back of my trailer tail gate when they were coming back toward the trailer when my son lost control and pinned me head on while i was filming.
Too bad the tapes not good enough for REAL TV
Bill,I hope your injuries heal soon and thanks for the info

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Which bones and how'd you do it? (a la previous post)

No, calcium supplements don't make any difference. It's a blood flow issue, particularly if you've got a Talus fracture (like me :ugg: ), and/or whether the fracture was displaced or not. If you can afford it, a bone stimulator is what I've been using (electromagnetic pulse generator--supposedly promotes osteoblast differentiation, and as a result, secondarily recruits bloodflow). XRay's today show some bone being laid down. :) These types of injuries suck bigtime, and take forever to heal. (If they do, and don't require a bone graft/fusion) Good luck.

ttt

Sep 18, 1999
What did you do nephron. Have you recovered yet. A couple weeks ago I cased a 100ft
double and broke my talus into six peices on my right foot and broke one peice off on my left foot
and also broke my tib and fib on both legs.
Im in a wheelchair for at least three months and it hasn't been long enough
for my doctor to know how it will heal and when I can ride again.
There is a chance that it could die and I would have to have a fused ankle.

Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
ttt - Don't know if you realize it or not, but your sig URL is misspelled.

"breifcese" should be "briefcase".

- Bill

mxpilot83

Jun 7, 2001
Yep, another Talar break (Talar Neck) and dislocation. as a result of an endo off a particularly nasty uphill tabletop. Just 2 major pieces, with a bunch of tiny fragments floating around. I was on crutches for 3 1/2 months and back racing after 4 (I have always wanted to race Washougal - couldn't miss that one). I never did tell the doc I started racing again.. It's surprising to me that there is less pain riding/racing then there is just walking. It has now been 15 months and I have major scar tissue (2 surgeries and 4 pins), so the range of movement is about 60-70% of my other ankle. I look pretty funny when I try to run. DO YOUR REHAB!!! I was a little lazy on that one, as I was still trying to work. I developed a little bit of AVN due to no blood getting there, but the bone decided to start growing back, so hopefully talks of fusion are over. Good luck on your recoveries, I'm sure you'll be back on the bike soon.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
ttt--see my other post. Man, I feel for you. :ugg: That's a tough situation to be in (wheelchair-bound). Keep the chin up.

I basically did the same as you (except not nearly as bad)--cased a double. Rode off, didn't wreck. Laid the bike down and started crying for my mommy. :whiner: Had a Hawkins 3 Talus fracture (right). As you did, underwent open reduction, internal fixation--followed by a walking cast with no weightbearing. I've been off my crutches for a week or so now, and show signs of healing. But I strongly feel that's only because I've been using a bone stimulator. The prognosis for your right foot doesn't seem too good, but I haven't seen your films.

I'd say don't worry too much about it, and just remember this: Guy Cooper's broken his ankles more times than you've got hairs on your butt, and he still rides. And if I'm not mistaken, I think he's had a couple "fusions" as well. Get well soon.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Go to http://www.orthologic.com/medpros/prod_bgs.asp to read about the battery powered electromagnetic bone growth stimulator. Also click on my site below to read about using high strength magnets. And for the best bone repair calcium you should use a product called Hydroxyapatite (company Solaray) which is low heat dried (since much heat changes the natural properties) bone meal from select cattle. It is a powder in capsules. You take 6-10 capsules daily. All the minerals your bones need are contained there in the correct ratios. Tests with people with osteoporosis (porous bones) showed this product to be the most efficient at restoring bone density. Some calcium products didn't even help at all.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom