Trickgetter4

Nov 26, 2002
Does anyone have any tips on keeping the frame looking like new
and preventing boot scratches, ect ect.

I'm use to riding a Yamerhammer ware you didn't have worry about it because the paint on the Yamaha was going to come off it was just a matter of time ( or minutes ) I should say. If you bought a Yamaha the only time it will look new is before you ride it.

On the CR, I have herd that you can put on the grip tape or clear plastic backing to keep the frame looking sharp or polish the frame.

any tips from the honda owners would be Great. Thank you.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Scotchbrite pads help when washing the bike. They remove the oxidation from the frame and make it look new. It's probably never going to look brand new, though.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Whatever you do, don't polish the frame. Looks good for an hour. I use simple green and like buzz bomb said a scotchbrite pad does the trick. I have to admit after cleaning bike looks good.

Erik

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
I have to disagree. I have always polished my CR frames in the past and Ihave with this one. When you wash it just make sure you wipe off the frame with a towl befor the water dires or you get water spots. I run UFO plastc fram gaurds also, they cost about $20-$25 bucks and go up to the shroud.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have to say I think the polished frames look sweet, but I hear they are hard to maintain. I use a nylon scrudding brush and citrus cleaner and the discoloration comes right off.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
See the frame guards are key. One of my racing buddies polished his frame. It looked good when he pulled it off his truck. The second he came back from practice, it was all ugly. It does look good though when new. If you do polish though Trail is right frame guards are the only way to go.

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
when/if i put my biek up for winter i am going to take my motor out and polish my WHOLE frame and subframe..........it will take me forever to clean it after each ride but........it will be sweet.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
The original owner of my CR polished the subframe and rear swing arm, and with the fact that I did not have to polish it initially, I like using Never Dull on it to get it real nice. I get some scrathes but I am thinking after the initial process of getting it done that you can maintain it pretty effortlessly, depending on how you are about your toys. Anyways, I have gotten mine really nasty and would think that it is trashed, but a good wash and some Never Dull and it is looking really good. I get a lot of comments on it. I think I will eventually go over it with wet sand paper and polishing compuund, but not this year...well maybe, Michigan winters are long....

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I think I should say frame, I just had the front sub frame out of my Toyota. So, I have been a little stuck on that term lately..........:-)_~

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I keep my frame polished. I use Mother's Aluminum polish. It only takes five minutes a couple of times a month.
A polished frame takes 15 seconds off my lap times.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
the polished frame does look good.....till you take it off the truck. after that the compound that remains on the frame spars(and it does no matter how much you rub) turns black and makes the frame look ugly(dirty). scotchbrit pads are the best way to go about it. I do agree that frame guards would help though.

Trickgetter4

Nov 26, 2002
Thanks guys for the tips, I'll try some of them and see what works best for me, I do like the fact that Kawasaki bikes come with frame gards, Yamaha needs to figure this out, the paint on a new Yamaha lasts only a short time.

If by polishing the frame it really takes 15 Seconds of your lap time, just think what times you could get if you were to cut offedited by moderator SRKXRIDER the list goes on. LOL LOL LOL...

Thanks guys...

dale williams

Feb 3, 2000
If you put guards on be sure to remove them after each ride and clean under them. There is nothing like dirt and water to promote corrosion. I remove all my guards and wash the bike with automotive soap and a soft mitt. I then don't put the guards back on until either the bike is dry or I'm going riding. Wax makes the bike come clean easier and will reduce corrosion.

Top Bottom