kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Got an 01 KDX 200. I'm looking at going to a 50 tooth rear and have been reading about replacing the lower chain guide. I like the fact that the stock unit has plastic on the sides whereas the FRP unit does not. I've read about the masterlink circlip wearing too. Is this because the chain rubs on the aluminum sides of the FRP unit? Needing some help so I can order what I need all at once. I can however modify the stocker if any of you have been successful doing so too. Thanks in advance!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I've had the Fredette guide on my KDX for years. It is a solid unit and does not rub my 50T sprocket. When I was riding it full time, I went through a couple of wear blocks a season. It will wear the master link clip a bit, but not too bad. I have the TM guide on my KTM and it's the best I've tried. Rocks demolished the stocker and the erider unit that I replaced it with. The master link was always being shaved down to paper thinness because rock impacts tend bend a metal guide out of position. The TM is great. It takes severe abuse and unlike a metal unit, flexes and returns to the original position after any big hit.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I'm talking about the chain rubbing on the sides (alloy rubbing the chain, metal to metal). Why do the circlips wear thin?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
kingsxjt said:
I'm talking about the chain rubbing on the sides (alloy rubbing the chain, metal to metal). Why do the circlips wear thin?

Metal bends. Whack the aluminium side plates of the chain guide enough times with enough rocks, it will start to rub against the chain continuously. The more it rubs, the thinner the circlip gets.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
Don't know. I know the stocker rubs the O-ring chains, but it's a mystery why since the 220 comes with an O-ring chain and has the exact same part #'s on the chainguide? I'm going to an O-ring chain and a 50T at the same time. I still haven't decide what I'm going to do about a chain guide. The only place to get a TM for my KDX is directly from them and they show on their website that they want 20 to ship. They have other options listed, but no price or phone #. You have to email them and I haven't heard back yet. 55+20=75 for the TM and the FRP is 35+8=43. The TM is pricey, but I like the fact that it all plastic, Delron, whatever.

Last edited:

gn83tm

Dec 30, 2002
I have used the Fredette guide for a few years and been very happy with it. I had just as much wear on the master link clips with the stock unit as I have with the FRP part. I feel that the wear probably comes more from the mud and dirt that the chain has to go through than from the guide itself. The plastic and aluminum are a lot softer than the steel clip but we all know how abrasive dirt particles can be.
My KX has an aluminum unit with plastic surrounding the chain on all 4 sides and it seems to work well also.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
kingsxjt said:
Don't know. I know the stockewr rubs the O-ring chains, but it's a mystery why since the 220 comes with an O-ring chain and has the exact same part #'s on the chainguide? I'm going to an O-ring chain and a 50T at the same time. I still haven't decide what I'm going to do about a chain guide. The only place to get a TM for my KDX is directly from them and they show on their website that they want 20 to ship. They have other options listed, but no price or phone #. You have to email them and I haven't heard back yet. 55+20=75 for the TM and the FRP is 35+8=43. The TM is pricey, but I like the fact that it all plastic, Delron, whatever.

Not sure where you are, but I ordered direct from TM and paid $61 including shipping to MA. Also, they replied within 1 day to a couple of email questions before I ordered.
:cool:

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
sasrocks said:
does a 49 rub the stocker?
I use a 12/49 sprocket combo and don't have an issue with the stock chain guide. I did notice the o-ring chain is rubbing on the engine cases near the counter shaft seal.

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
kingsxjt said:
How can it rub by the countershaft when the 220 comes stock with an O-ring chain? Do we need a spacer or something?
The 12 tooth sprocket is a smaller diameter and that brings the chain closer to the cases. It hasn't rubbed through enough to hurt anything yet, but I am keeping a close watch on it. I really dislike the stock 13 tooth, because the 12/49 combo makes it easier to crawl over logs in first gear. :ugg:

Top Bottom