From Street to Dirt with the kids

hip66

Dec 28, 2007
Any ideas/ feedback appreciated:

Getting into trail riding/ field riding- no mx.

3 boys ages 4,6,8 dialing them in with a Yam ttr50e and two CRF70F or similar, got that part covered.

I have been street riding for over 20 years on about everything- baggers, cruisers, hardtail choppers, sportbikes etc. Never ridden dirt, want to get the boys on two wheels and ride along with them. Plan is to ride farm fields and trails, no motorcross.

Need to pick out a trail bike for myself (prefer used). Considering a 2002 XR400F, CRF230F, Yamaha TTR230 etc., -those types of bikes. Let me know your opinions on what is best for me.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6' 1" 255 lbs, power lifter
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? just will be riding with the kids, I can ride aggressive when I want to on the street.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? woods, fields and with the kids
4) Do you have any riding experience? 20+ years street
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes, but don't want to sink time in repairs
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Honda Yamaha Suzuki
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? depends
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 40
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Thanks guys.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You are a big boy, but the TTR should be able to pull you well enough to keep up with the kids (the others would too).

hip66

Dec 28, 2007
thanks frudad, any other opinions? I've had people recommend anything from a used XR100 all the way to 450's. Read alot about the 230 good = price and bad = get bored on it/ not enough power?

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I ride an XR100 and I weigh 230 and am 6' tall when I go riding with my daughter on her 50 - makes it challenging. It's also fun to toy around in the yard with. A CR250 is my regular off road bike. Since the 100 has a kick stand and it's easy/quick to get on and off (you do that a LOT for a while) it helps there too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…