Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Hi all,

I got my forks back today from MX-tech. I seem to remeber something about snapping a stud off if you tighten the clamp down wrong. Any help would be appriciated, as far to torque specs on the clamps, axle, and axle clamp...

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I did do a search, it seems like everyon was breaking them due to over torque. But I seem to remebmer somethign about tightening the top or bottoms ones first that had some effect. Or did everyone snap them from over torque?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You tighten them such that there is NO gap at the top. There will be a gap at the bottom.

Obviously, that means you don't tighten them in a cross pattern, right?

I don't have my manual handy...but I think it's something like 70in/lb. Please do verify that.

It's not a problem doing it 'by hand' (no torque wrench) as long as you have an idea of what force is being applied. If you tend to hamfist stuff...better use a torque wrench.

BTW...(dead thread?**Fixed thanks to michelle..!!** The gist is pasted below anyway.)

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33904

gets:

pursang262
Subscriber

Joined DRN:
Jul 2000

springfield,ma. USA
Local: 05:39 PM
>

If you ever need one of those studs, the Kawasaki part # is 172G0622

They are also reported to have been found at some average hardware stores in the 'metric stud' department. They might be in the 'kdx stud' department, but then......aren't we all?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
87 inch pounds for 95 and up. If your scarred, do what i do. I use a 1/4 inch ratchet, choke up on the handle and criss cross like anything else that needs equal pressure thru out. Good luck! Could be wrong tho.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Could be.

Again, the top of the clamp must be tight to the fork. The bottom of the clamp will have a gap to the fork.

If you use a cris-cross method, that isn't likely to be the result.

BTW, the axle must be tightened before the cap is torqued. It's around 62ft/lb.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Yup as stated in the manual, Tighten the top nuts first, then the bottom ones. weird but i guess. Ive been doing it the other way but whatever works.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I would second CC on getting a in/lb torque wrench. It's hard to believe that it actually holds the axel in with that little bit of torque.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I knew there was something, that being the top of the clamp should be flush leaving a gap on the bottom.

Top Bottom