kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
I have just bought a kdx220r (great bike) the front end dances on me at average speeds on dirt roads. any ideas why or suggestions? thanks Kevin

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
buy new springs (stock springs are very unbalanced) get the suspension revalved for your weight

check out the justkdx site for more info.

Randy K

Sep 20, 2000
My '94 started to do that when I cut down the handlebars to 29.5 inches. Other than that, make sure the air pressure is good and that all of your triple tree bolts are tight.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I second the steering dampner, it's not just for high speeds though. It gives me more confidence in my front end, especially riding through the rocks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If your forks are too high in the clamps it can cause head shake. Lowering them may stablize things.
Also, you may want to check and make sure you have your steering stem nut tightened to spec. Lots of times folks will have them too loose and this can cause shake as well.
I would take the stem assembly apart and check out the bearings. Make sure they are in good shape. Great time to grease them up nicely as well. Use a good wheel bearing grease, or at least a #2.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'd check the oil in the forks. Just a few cc's off will cause the effect you are describing.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Dance' meaning headshake?

Not uncommon, especially in bikes with steep head ºs as the kdx has.

My riding buddy's '00/200 did it on a regular basis. Mine never has. He resolved his headshake trouble with a pumpkin!

re (steering stem): 'tighten to spec.' Don't gloss over the SPEC part. If you tighten it to what seems reasonable for a thread of that size disregarding the fact that it's a tapered roller bearing, THE ASSEMBLY WILL FAIL..and the handling of it before it DOES fail will stink!

Last edited:

mule

Nov 7, 2001
Re: steering stem nut.
canyoncarver--- you say something about "if you tighten it as much as you think it needs... it will fail" Are you saying that people usually overtigthen, or undertighten it???

mule.

PS you ever get out to Prospect ORV area?

PSS nice to "talk" with you again!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
overtighten.

re: prospect

Yep..all of the 3 big weeks it was open this year!! Camped at union creek for a week. Rode a bunch!

I wrote to 'ya a few times..at least once about going to prospect. Didn't hear back from you at all, so figgered our last outting kind'a soured you on our 'style' of riding.

Remember that big tree across the trail going up kane creek. You said, '..this isn't exactly what I had in mind' at the time. Anyway, we cut that out just a few weeks ago. Then rolled the whole thing right smack in the way agin...but that's another story.

Going riding (prolly) this saturday. If it's not raining TOO much. Interested? Let me know.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Kevin c. I have had a problem with the front tire bouncing up and down on paved roads. I checked the wheel/tire assy for out of roundness(a highly untechnical term for some kind of runout) and it is OK.

Is this the same kind of "dancing" you are referring to? Or is yours a side to side wobble?

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
Id check to make sure that any access air pressure is bled off of the forks. Check the fluid level as well. If the tire is leaving the pavement i would adjsut your rebound clicker to try and even it out. Softer springs may be the way to go but check to make sure everything is working properly or the tire will jsut bounce everywhere if it is too far out of wack.
tim

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Side to side makes me think front wheel bearings or spokes. To check the bearings get the bike on a stand, grab the top of the wheel and see if there is side to side movement. If so you have bearing problems. If all is good you can check the spokes by spinning the wheel. If there is back and forth movement while the wheel is spinning you've got to adjust your spokes.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'side to side' could be a description of headshake.

Have to ask...kevin....you know what headshake is, right? It's 'side to side' in that the handlebars move left to right in an increasingly oscillating manner.

THAT'LL get your nerves in a knot pretty quick.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It'll tighten ya right up!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom