Front Fork Axle Retaining Studs

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
Necked Down

Necked Down means that the stud has stretched causing the diameter at the middle of the stud to be smaller as a result. Also if you look closely at the threads they will appear to be further apart toward the middle of the stud.

markmad

May 20, 2006
From reading all these posts one can only assume that the studs in question are normal 8.8 tensile strength studs which have been nickel plated.

I think the best option is to buy unplated 10.9 or 12.9 strength studs (or bolts) . Unfortunately this you will have to purchase at an engineering supplier as most bolts at hardware stores will be supplied as 8.8’s.I think I’ll be doing mine even before they break, thanks for the posts guys.

hulagun

Jul 11, 2006
8.8 vs stronger bolts

Mark-

I am about to go buy (or try to) 4 new studs at dealer tomorrow when they open... have you got a source for the stronger studs? :cool: If you have to buy a box of say 25 or something would you and offer to share them around? I bet plenty of guys would want them. I'd sign up if it happens real soon...

Ivan

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've had OEM studs on my bike for over six years. Have had no trouble with them at all. I've only gone through about a gadozen front end take aparts what with new tires, new bearings, fork maint., new whatever.

Of course, now the NEXT time I take it apart, something will break.

Increased tensile strength is not always a good thing.

If 'the proper' wrench was used, it was either not used properly or is not calibrated correctly at that low a setting.

A torque wrench that is 'good' for 10-100 ft/lbs is likely going to be a lot further 'off' at the 10 ft/lb setting than at 50.

Heck, it's not going to be the same up/down/left/right either.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…