cheapo

Mar 10, 2003
I am in the process of replacing the front fork seals on my '00 KDX200 and I have a few questions maybe someone can shed light on.

1. I understand the bottom cylinder valve assmebly (where the compression adjustment is) is a 14mm hex key. I am having trouble finding this size. I understand Craftsman does not have it and I could not find it at my local hardware stores (Lowes/Home Depot, etc.). Anyone know where I can pick one up?

2. Is it in fact 14mm?

3. Is that an opposite thread screw?

I replaced the seals a while back in a friends shop and he is no longer around to borrow the tool. At the time I made the fork cylinder holder out of steel tubing and a nut welded on the end, so I have that piece. I tried rigging something with the end of a bolt which fit the hex key and tried turning the bolt (with 2 nuts locked on the end), but had a hard time breaking the cylinder valve assembly loose. I was afraid of rounding the assembly so I am looking for the nex wrench. That is why I also asked if it was opposite threads. I tried a search on this forums, but couldn't find the answer there.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
It is 14mm and regular right hand thread. I had to get one from a commercial tool supply outfit in my local area (Boise). The easiest way to loosen the fittings is to use an air or electric impact tool on them. That way you don't need a way to grip the fork while loosening them (vise). I just took the forks off, turned them upside down, held on with one hand and ran the impact driver with the other....piece of cake.

Top Bottom