darman4Christ

Mar 4, 2005
What does it take to replace the seals on front forks? Do You have to have special tools? If my forks are leaking is it just the seals that will need to be replaced?

Bike is 1992 RM-125

Thanks!!

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
yes to all. leaking seals will require you to have new seals, some seal grease (if you so desire), fork oil, a seal driver and the knowledge of how to take the forks apart....first time is a doozy, after that it gets easier but requires a pretty substantial investment in time and money (the drivers are $50 alone)...plus seals....if you're uncomfortable, take them to a shop - OR get the manual and get to work!!! Good luck

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
you need to pull the dust seals and then work a card or film negative past the lip of the oil seal and "floss" your way around...the idea is that dirt is in the lip of the seal and it is letting oil by....if you see a little oil on the slider after riding, this is an alternative....if you have a puddle on the floor, the seal may be toast and this will not work too well.

darman4Christ

Mar 4, 2005
yes i have puddles. time to bite the bullet and send them off i guess or maybe i'll get out my trusty manual and give it a shot myself. pray for me and my bike!!

Eric Jones

Jan 30, 2004
Hello:
I'm sick of doing this with my KX, so this time I'm putting "Seal Savers" on. They are like booties to keep sand/dirt out of the seals.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
Eric Jones said:
Hello:
I'm sick of doing this with my KX, so this time I'm putting "Seal Savers" on. They are like booties to keep sand/dirt out of the seals.

you might have something else wrong ( a gouge in the slider....OR could just be excessive dirt).

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
On my 01 and 05 YZ 250's I had seal savers on both. They're not perfect (I still managed to get some dirt in the seals twice in 3 years on my 01). No problems using seal savers on my 05 so far. Before I put the seal savers on my 01, I was having leaks almost 1/5 rides.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Seal replacement is do-able without special tools.
Hard parts are getting the damper bolt loose and driving the seals in.

Loosen the bolt with the springs still in place. I have been able to do this without an air impact.
I made my own driver using some steel pipe that I cut to length and wrapped with duct tape and then used the old seals to protect the new ones.

It's important to have a clean work area if you do this. It is a bit messy.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom