Front forks out of allign after crash?

Quinton

Sep 1, 2002
My 92 CR250 wheelied out from underneath me today (rode on its tail for a while) and then layed over on its left side. Now it looks like front wheel is off kiltered and my Renthals are bent slightly. Any experience with this? and how to fix? I'm not going to have it messed with by a shop, 'cause it will happen next time.
thanks all.

B

biglou

Loosen your handlebar clamps and tripleclamp pinch bolts to get the top end back straight. Then tighten. You may need a second set of hands for this. If the front wheel itself is out of alignment, loosen the axle nut and pinch bolts, push down on the handlebars to center it, and then tighten.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Ditto!

Lou ya beat me to it!
Phillip

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Or....find a nice oak and bang her back into shape. :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Here's a little trick for ya. Loosen all the bolts as stated, from the triple clamp on down to the axle pinch bolts. Spin the front tire by hand as fast as you can then grab the front brake. Do this a couple of times. It'll pop everything back into alignment, other than the bent bars.

Now for the bars, lean the bike over on your center stand with the bar that's bent laying on top of the stand. You can put some weight on the other end of the bar to bend it back. Make sure you look which way the bar needs to go first. :thumb:

Keep in mind that your front fender may be outta whack and throw off your eye. Take it off for this stuff so you can get a good look. Take it for a ride after and see how it feels. Good luck

Quinton

Sep 1, 2002
I followed big lou's advice and got her lined up no prob. Didn't take it for a ride yet, but it looks real good. Thanks for the quick advice. I'm back in a good mood again.
PS Just rode at School Creek today for the first time. Had a blast.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
when getting everything straight don't look at the tire and the fender for reference points...the fender can lie.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…