mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
One of my Front shock stiffness screw (located on bottom of fork, after removing rubber seal) just turns and turns. The other one turns for 16 clicks and then stops. It was set for the 15th click to the right (clockwise) for firm suspension. I don't mind if it is still set at 15 clicks and not being able to adjust, as long as it hasn't released the spring tension (setting it to click 1). When I get a stiffer spring and change the fluid this winter I will definitely fix this issue. Please Help

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You're referring to the compression adjustment.

They should NOT 'turn and turn'..but SHOULD 'turn..and then stops.' You're at the end of the travel when it 'stops', and the other one has been forced which is why it 'turns and turns'.

There is no 'spring tension' that is released. It's the flow of oil that is restricted more or less.

Don't know if it's the valve body that has the problem, or the screw. The screw probably, 'cuz it's brass (and soft). Don't know if (it being the screw) it is 'stuck' or stripped on the way OUT or the way IN? Looking at the position of the screw head in relation to the valve body, you should be able to tell which. Seeing as the one that still works is CW 15 turns, I'd guess the other one is stripped IN, so at least the two are close.

It's not the threads of the screw that effect the fluid adjustment, but the distance of the screw tip from the orifice. As long as the screw heads appear to be approximately in the same place relative to the valve body, you should be ok.

You don't have to disassemble the forks to get the valve body out. Position the bike so the oil in the forks is settling toward the TOP of the fork, and you can wrench out the valve body from the bottom of the fork. Hopefully, after the valve is removed, you can get the buggered screw out. Have a screw on hand to replace it with, of course. A good idea to have no gas in your tank!

Worst case?? Swap the shim stack to a different valve body and you'll be good to go. Adjust to suit. DON"T hamfist it!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom