May 1, 2007
Hey guys ive got myself quite a predicament here. My 89 YZ 250wr has problems with first gear so i have been avoiding it because i do not have the cash to have the case split right now. It has HIGH gearing and seems like it will go over 40 in 2nd gear which makes it blow big time on tight trails. Last trip I fouled two plugs and caused LOTS of extra wear on my clutch. My question is if there is any downfall to getting a smaller front sprocket. Im pretty sure (havent looked yet) that it is 13 or 14 teeth, if i went to 11 would it make a big enough difference to be worth it. I am not at all concerned about lowering top speed and do not want to spend $100+ on a rear sprocket when i could put that money toward the gearbox. I realize that this is just putting a bandaid on the problem but if it allows me to hit the trails a little easier temporarily then it will be well worth it. I just do not want to do it if it is going to destroy my chain or something or something similar. Thanks alot.

May 1, 2007
I just went out and checked and I am running a 13/49 or a 13/50. Is a drop of two in the front enough to eliminate the need for first gear or should I order a 52 for the rear also? I know that I should try one then get the other if I still need it but I need to order in tomorrow so that I can ride this weekend. I just do not understand how big of a difference we are talking here. The wr transmission is geared extremely high so the two teeth difference in the front probably will not solve my problem. I think i will just hold off on the rear though. I got through last weekend on expert rated trails how it sits so the change, even if small, can only be better i suppose. I guess I will have my local shop change it for me because i do not have a chain tool.

Last edited:

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
If you have a tranny problem, you need to fix it. :nod:

Breaking something in the gearbox will be way more money than ruining the chain you are worried about. :yikes:

Buy a manual for the bike, and fix the problem, don't just try to jury rig the thing.

Rotor

May 1, 2007
Rotorranch said:
If you have a tranny problem, you need to fix it. :nod:

Breaking something in the gearbox will be way more money than ruining the chain you are worried about. :yikes:

Buy a manual for the bike, and fix the problem, don't just try to jury rig the thing.

Rotor

I am not confident that I could fix my tranny and do not have the cash to have it fixed. Im not worried about something else in the tranny getting hurt too much because it is unlikely and when I have the cases split im counting on changing 2 forks and probably 3 gears. It is going to cost me $600 that I do not have. A $12 sprocket that keeps me riding for awhile longer doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. I might regret it later, if I do, i will kindly bend over and take your TOLD YA SO! :nener:
Thanks for the help.

colbyc28

Dec 1, 2006
I agree with 2 strokes. You should do it yourself. I just looked and the gears are around 40 a piece and the forks are around 30. If that is all you fixed you could get by at about 215$ counting your gasket set. That's a lot better than 600! By the way, I have the exact same bike as you and I just split my case for the first time yesterday, it wasnt so bad. Of course I dont have it back together yet. But I see no big issues.

Last edited:
May 1, 2007
colbyc28 said:
I agree with 2 strokes. You should do it yourself. I just looked and the gears are around 40 a piece and the forks are around 30. If that is all you fixed you could get by at about 215$ counting your gasket set. That's a lot better than 600! By the way, I have the exact same bike as you and I just split my case for the first time yesterday, it wasnt so bad. Of course I dont have it back together yet. But I see no big issues.
Good to hear that I am not the only one on here with this bike. I just might tear it down myself this winter and fix it but I want to ride till then so the front sprocket change will be a temporary fix for the time being. As for the tranny, I will atleast pull it out myself to save a few hundred bucks. I plan on going through the bike COMPLETELY, tearing it down, paint the frame, top end, chain and sprockets, back tire and fixing the tranny at the same time this winter. Should be a good bike after that. The smaller sprocket should get me by for a few more good rides till then and at $12, it will be well worth it. Thanks for the help guys. When the time comes to rip it apart I will make a thread and hopefully you guys can help me out and save me some cash. Thanks again.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
dont change the gearing, if youve got 13/49 then thats lower than standard anyway and NOT high geared. i used to run 14/49 on mine with no probs at all even in tight trails. a 11t front sprocket is way too small, and i think you would find you would be changing gears constantly. find out whats wrong with the tranny etc.. and fix it.
also the wr tranny has a lower 1st gear than the yz but has a higher 5th.

May 1, 2007
steve.emma said:
dont change the gearing, if youve got 13/49 then thats lower than standard anyway and NOT high geared. i used to run 14/49 on mine with no probs at all even in tight trails. a 11t front sprocket is way too small, and i think you would find you would be changing gears constantly. find out whats wrong with the tranny etc.. and fix it.
also the wr tranny has a lower 1st gear than the yz but has a higher 5th.
Changed to the 11t and it is a little bit easier to ride now. It required using a 1"machine bushing behind the sprocket to keep the chain from dragging on the case. As far as gearing goes, it didnt make up for first, but it is a slight improvement. It goes through gears quick, yes, but I dont ride around at speeds over 70mph so it is alright. On the stuff I am riding on you cant get out of 2nd still with the lower gearing but on a few select trails. Pretty technical stuff around here. When I fix the tranny (hopefully in the next couple weeks) I will buy a new chain and sprocket set. Probably the biggest rear I can get my hands on and a 14 or maybe even 13t front. It will be nice to be able to go up a hill in the powerband without destroying my clutch plates. I do not care for HAVING to take BAD hills at 35mph bouncing off every rock and tree on the way. Thanks for the help guys, I will post a new thread when I strip it down with pictures so that I can get some help with it.

Top Bottom