Front Sprocket Cover?

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
Yesterday I noticed my '98 KDX200 is missing the front sprocket cover. It's quite possible that I just didn't notice this detail when I bought the bike several weeks ago. Anyway, I'd like to replace this part. Is the stock piece the only way to go? I haven't checked but was wondering if an aftermarket cover was available for less than what the stock piece would cost. Can anyone comment on this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Simon Fuller

May 17, 2001
The previous owner would have intentionally removed it. There is no need for a cover and in muddy conditions they collect huge amounts of debris. Leave it off.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I notice a lot of people do this, but it's a VERY good idea to leave the little "knife" plate (I have no idea what this part is called) in front of the chain. This will prevent your chain (by chance it comes off the sprocket (tree limb, rock, mud, etc) and jams into the space between the case and the sprocket. I think it is there to prevent your chain from punching a hole in the case. My .02 though.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I would keep it on for sure. If you break a chain at high speeds you can easily punch a hole in your case. Ive seen the effects of this on another bike (not a KDX, but same idea). It only takes 3 bolts and you can pull the cover off and clean it till your hearts desire.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Leave it off. It only collects mud which will wear your chain. But if you don't have it make sure and get the inner "plate" which will keep chain out of case in the event it comes off.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I took mine off, and had a wonderful idea to machine a thicker case guard. Came out looking sweet(I work for a CNC Machine Importer) and the fit was awesome. The only problem was, it too, collected massive amounts of mud. So I switched back to the factory case saver only, no cage. In the event of a chain breaking the plastic cage isn't going to save much. JMO....

:yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

someday

Jul 10, 2000
Keep the metal piece, toss the plastic for all the reasons above. All the plastic is for is factory CYA ib the event soemone's pant leg or ankle get caught up in there.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…