ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
87kdx 200..white bros shows .36spring rate is standard for bike, haven't looked in my repair manual yet. Seems like i read somewhere (GOR or maybe here) that a 1" spacer would is a good setting to start with. Now i'm pretty green in the suspension area, but do you really want to but a spacer in there. That will only change the preload, which doesn't really make it handle better does it? It still has the same springrate. I'm 180 with gear, and can't really tell whether or not i need to change something, since i haven't ever ridden a bike that was setup correctly for my weight, what do i look for, do i need to start my getting a spring with the correct springrate?...i don't race, i'm a trail man...thanks all

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
First take some measurements..
One rule of thumb is to set preload to get 3/4" unladen sag. Should compress another 3/4" with you on it, 1.5-1.75 total.

You can only fiddle with preload so much without the right rate spring, you see.

if your bike free sags 1", and 2" with you on it, another .25" of preload may be in order.

Additionally, if you set your free sag to 3/4" -1" then you get on it and it drops to 2.5", stiffer springs are in order.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom