Fuel questions for Rich

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
thank you to those of you who are constructively discussing this topic.  I was thinking maybe kerosene would be a better alternative, although I am not sure how well it will wash back out of the filter...i'll give it a try soon.  I like the idea of kerosene in a re-usable container better than gasoline in a five gallon can.  The fire hazzard from gas is from the vapors, dependant on surface area, ventilation, and temperature.  Presently I am using a small plastic ice cream bucket and a very small quantity of gas (just enough to wash out the oil), then immediately washing the gas out of the filter in warm soapy water.  It isn't ideal, but I really don't think the hazzard of it can be judged by those not knowing the specific details of my procedure.  I know people who work (safely) with all kinds of fuels and solvents every day, the hazzards are quite manageable.

dirty d, I used to really enjoy reading your posts, but following Rich around to "me too" and "I told you so" is getting old fast.  He's a big boy, I don't think he needs your help when it comes to insulting the intelligence of others.  And since you haven't brought anything meaningful regarding fuels or anything related to motorcycles to the table in this thread, can you really consider yourself "armed"? 

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
It isn't ideal, but I really don't think the hazzard of it can be judged by those not knowing the specific details of my procedure. I know people who work (safely) with all kinds of fuels and solvents every day, the hazzards are quite manageable.

that is very true I do not know the conditions you are working in or the safety precautions you are taking for yourself and the environment. Unfortunately a statement of washing out your filter with gas safely could lead to someone not as conscious of the dangers as yourself. Imagine a child thinking he could clean the chain on his bicycle with gas ,he accidently kicks over the can of gas in thegarage and the pilot light for the hot water heater or something is right there in the garage also.

It is a subject that I am sure quite a few people would jump on the bandwagon against. An irresponsible statement of something like I smoke 2 cigarettes a week but jog five miles a day so I doubt cigarettes are going to kill me so it must be ok to smoke cigarettes kinda fits the bill.

then immediately washing the gas out of the filter in warm soapy water.

Although I am pretty sure you know but gas will burn even setting in a puddle of water. In fact trying to use water to put out a gas fire is one of the biggest nono's I can think of. All it will do is spread the fire

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
point taken on the "setting example" issue, you are right. 

warm water with the right kind of soap mixes with the gas (emulsification?) and becomes non flammable.  If I didn't do it this way, you can bet I would hear constant nagging about how the garage "smells like gas!" because the fumes floating on top of the water would be evaporating.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Motometal, please explain to me how soap added to gas eliminates hydrocarbon vapor, which is a magnitude more volatile than H2O?

And what's wrong with just real hot water and soap?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
warm water with the right kind of soap mixes with the gas (emulsification?) and becomes non flammable.

if the detergent you use is strong enough to break down the gas into a non flammable liquid I would bet that it would also be useful in just breaking down the filter oil into something you can rinse off with a hose and you wouldn't need the gas in the first place. Might take longer but an option I would highly consider over using gas in the first place.
But it really doesnt work like that; imagine a glass of water and stir in a bunch of sand<your gasoline>. the sand will drop out of the water relatively quickly. now add a bunch of flour<detergent> to the water and stir up the sand. The thick flour /water solution will help suspend the water/ sand mixture. The sand stays the same it is only suspended better in the water/flour paste, it will eventually drop out and settle.
There is a difference between a mixture and a solution. A mixture would be sand and water a solution would be the flour and water.mixture are relaively easy to seperate<pour the water off gently and leave the sand> a solution is a little bit more difficult<evaporate/boil off the water leaving the flour>. BY changing the surface tension of the water by adding flour you make it thicker to help suspend the sand. By changing the surface tension of the water making it thinner with the detergent you make it easier to suspend the gas but eventually they will separate.

Emulsification is really nothing more than using a solution to help suspend the mixture, grease and water does not mix but by adding flour you can make gravy :eek:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I am familiar with polar and non polar substances, and the way the soap allows them to bond together.&nbsp; The end product doesn't produce vapors nearly as much as an equal surface area of gasoline.&nbsp; I can't completely explain it with science, but it works.&nbsp; The only time I did have a filter come apart involved using very hot water, so i'm hesitant to do that again.&nbsp; Unfortunately, most of the filter oils which are water resistant, also are resistant to common detergents.&nbsp; When I used to not use gloves, I didn't have much luck washing Silkolene or Bel-Ray filter oil off of my fingers with soap, so I wouldn't that the soap would break down the oil in the filter enough to release the dust and sand particles.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…