girlsbike

Dec 2, 2001
I get small amounts of fuel seeping from my air screw.Is there supposed to be an o ring there?Don't remember ever pulling one out.By the parts diagram on bike bandit doesn't show one.Any ideas.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I have the same problem on my 98 200. Ive been meaning to post something about it but I am going to get the RB carb mod done so I thought I would have it looked at then. Any info would be greatly appreciated by this little green duck aswell.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Seems strange to have fuel seeping from the air screw because that is the dry side of the carb. Is your oill filter over oiled? Could oil be running down the airbox boot?

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I don't know if it's good or bad, right or wrong but mine does it with a 1 year old airstriker. My son's '03 kx100 & my daughter's pw80 does it also. I've never paid much attention to it (but then I never pay much of anything :think: ).

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
Just a thought, the fuel seepage may be the result of the fuel expansion (a boiling effect) from the heat of the engine after the bike is shut off. This also aerates the fuel and allows the float to sink and allow the bowl to become over full.

The fuel in the float bowl will almost boil from a hot engine after it is stopped and no longer running. This is why many people experience gas coming out their over flow tube when they stop riding and park their bike.

A lot of people think this is do to a float level problem, but that's not the case all of the time.

This is why you have a petcock, the petcock should ALWAYS be shut off when the bike is not in use.

Fuel over flow was a BIG problem decades ago on street bikes and that is why the majority of all street models today have vacuum operated petcocks. This shuts the fuel off automatically when the engine is stopped.

Note, street bikes with auto fuel shutoff can still experience fuel seepage on hot day caused fuel expansion in the bowls.

This is my opinion why gas seepage can occur around the mixture screw. Fuel expands do to heat and it is pushed up into the main jet block, allowing the fuel to run back to the mixture screw. The mixture screw does not have a O-ring to seal it to the external part of the carb. It's a wicking effect do to heat and expanding fuel.

Just my opinion :)

NX650

Dec 9, 2002
I had that same problem on my 89 model. I just put a couple of wraps of teflon tape on the threads and haven't had the problem since!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom