Alpinestar

Apr 18, 2001
Hey!, hows everyone doing. I was wondering how many of you guys and gals share an intrest in the RC gas powered car sport. My dad is really into these things. I dont know what makes him so amazed with them but he really would like to have one. So I think my mom and I are going in together on one for Christmas. Ok heres my question. What would be the best RC car that is gas powered, fast and reliable(sort of like the KDX of RC cars :confused:) I have also though about getting one off ebay, but the thing im wondering is, are these cars better to buy brand new or can a man trust another with a used one? We cant go to high on the $ scale but I know theres some in the range of 200-300 bucks. Thanks everyone! later

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Get a traxxis t-maxx truck, it is pretty close to your budget! And there's one plus , IT COMES BUILT AND READY TO PLAY!!!
And believe me these things are bullet proof,!!
Another plus, there are more mods for t-maxx's than there are mods for dirtbikes's
there are guys at my local RC shop whose t-maxx's are worth 1400 bucks!!
the t-maxx is a killer deal, you get everything you need to run in one box, no hassles just add fuel:D

scav8er

Nov 14, 2001
you didn't say if he wanted a on road or off road car? We will assume an off road. For around $400 you can get a T-maxx which for the money is the best competative 4-wheel drive truck out of the box. Team Losi just came out with a ready to run XXX-NT for $499 with a picco .12 included this is a very good deal for some one wanting to get started into racing. I have raced the XXX-NT for about 2 years now and it is an excelleant truck. in case you dont know it it 2-wheel drive. if you go to the track you will see about 3 or 4 t-maxxs and about 9 or 10 XXX-NTs. the t-maxx is more fun for bashing arount but the xxx-nt is much better for racing. just my 2centsl

yzracer49

Mar 19, 2000
You can't go wrong with a Traxxs T-MAX. Ready to run, add batteries and gas. ALmost bullet-proof. I took mine and ran it around my friends moto-x track. it spent as mush time on its roof as it did on its wheel. But it never missed a beat. Way too mucch fun. Check out thier site at http://www.traxxas.com/

There are some cool mpegs of it in action also.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Team Associated puts out a nice Race truck (RC10 GT), that can be for fun or competition. The draw back is that there are lots of tunable parts and pieces. Thus, you spend LOTS of time dialing it in rather than just putting around. I had an RC10 GT for about a year, and sold it because it was more work than it's worth. Team Losi also puts a race truck and I've talked to people who love it because it's alot more "user friendly" than the Associated truck and still very competitive on the track. I would stay away from used, since the wear and tear on those little cars takes its toll very quickly. I would stick with off-road (trucks) since you can run them on the street as well. An on-road car is for just that.

Sorry to go against the grain here, but I'd stay away from Traxxas. You can't get as many mods for them as the others, plus there about as competitive as a Moped at the ISDE. ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Pardon my ignorance

Just looked at the T-Maxx website . . . those are the coolest things I've ever seen! I didn't know they made things like that! I mean, I know people get really into RC cars but never checked them out . . .

Are they difficult to maintain? Finicky?
How do you start them?
Premix?
Are they hard to drive?
Are they as tough as they look?
Are there 4x4 ones?

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Greenhorn,

Hate to say this, but you are WAY outta the loop. There has never been a vehicle more supported by aftermarket companys than the T-Maxx. Ever. It's not even up for debate. One of, if not 'thee' largest RC forums on the web is a T-maxx only site, with nearly 6000 Maxx enthusiats. Where's the RC10GT only forum? :p

For all out fun and bashing, the Traxxas Maxx series trucks are number one in toughness, fun, parts availability and aftermarket support. Sure their are better vehicles for all out racing purposes, but for all out grins with your buddies, 'maxx it'. :cool:

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Firecracker,

finicky? Only if you do poor maintenance. =)

The Maxx is started with an on-board starter. You push a button on a hand held battery, fire the engine, and unplug.

Not premix, but model fuel, typically, 10-20% nitro. about $10 a quart, but a quart will last you all day.

Tougher than crap. For whatever reason, people have decided that the Maxx's should be beaten, and they take it.

They are 4x4. 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel independent suspension with 8 oil filled coilover shocks.

If you are even mildly mechanical (can read and know which is the business end of a screwdriver) you would have lots of fun with one.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Okay, I am soooo hooked. If anybody comes across a good deal on one, let me know . . . not that it's something I should spend money on but that looks like a ton of fun. Besides, it's something I can do while on crutches!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by stormer94
Greenhorn,

Hate to say this, but you are WAY outta the loop.

I very well may be. I'll admit that it's been a few years since I was into it. I just don't ever recall Traxxas as being a competitive company (in racing).

Sure their are better vehicles for all out racing purposes, but for all out grins with your buddies, 'maxx it'. :cool:

My point exactly. That's why I tend to steer away from the "fun cars". You can have fun with the "Full Bore" racers just as well, but you'll atleast have something to run with if you decide to go head over heals in the RC sport. When I was racing, I saw a few Traxxas trucks getting tore up (literally) at the track. I can't speak for the T-Maxx first hand, but most of the Traxxas line up just doesn't hold up to the abuse of racing.

yzracer49

Mar 19, 2000
Firecracker,
Check out your local hoby store or there are allways some on E-bay. But they are priced low enough that even getting one new isn't a bad deal. At least then you know its history.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Greenhorn,

There has NEVER been an outfit that has stood up to more abuse than the 'maxx trucks. They are, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the most rugged, highflying outfits you can buy. This truck single handedly changed the perfromance RC industry when it was introduced. You can play with a Maxx if you like, but they are also tough customers on the track, making light work of jumps that'll snap the chassis on lesser vehicles.

They have twice the travel of an RC10gt, twice as many shocks, bigger tires, 4wd, 2 speed transmission (which includes reverse, use it if you like) and more performance companies making 'cool gizmo's than any other truck in history of RC. Anything from beadlock wheels to chassis conversions for .21 engines, all out billet chassis and arm conversions that would make any gear head drool.

Not trying to sound like a 'know it all', this just happens to be my job... and well, I kinda do know it all, at least in this area. :)
http://www.stormerhobbies.com

Good Maxxin'
Bob

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey Stormer, any tips on buying? I've got myself halfway talked into one of these things . . . I like that T-Maxx with the semi-truck body on it! Pretty darn cool. Now if I can just find the money . . .

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
It's easy to talk about stuff, tougher to find the cash .... =0)

Not a lot of tips for that one because it's pretty straight forward. You need the vehicle, a #trx4910, a cheapo battery charger, cheapo battery pack (for the onboard ignition, and some fuel).

My Yz250f came in this morning, so I don't even care if I go into work today. :confused:

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
When they race those trucks do they race them on tracks with jumps and such like a mini motocross track or do they just flat track?

YZr1der

Aug 17, 2001
the t-maxx is a great truck, thewy are fun to use. i own a traxxis nitro rustler, now that has some power:cool: i usually make it take whoops in doubles, sometimes triples:eek: it is very powerful and a lot of fun!

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Yea, and the guy that was having the riders meeting got a little chapped because nobody was paying attention to him... I still feel kinda bad about that... It was fun in the whoops though. :)

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Got about 4 gallons of gas through the 250f... What a monster. I like it. Had a heck of a time starting it, but now am getting the hang of it.

Silver Bullet

Mar 7, 2000
Guys, I know that normally dirt bikers consider "****"a four letter word but if you're into gas powered RC you should check out the Kyosho **** Rider. I have one. It is a gas powered RC ****. Let me tell you the thing rips!!! I put some aftermarket wheels/tires and a pipe on mine and the damn thing sounds like a small dirt bike. It's so damn fast it's hard to control at times. Really loves to jump and does awesome powerslides in dirt. You definately have to leave the rubber rider off to use it though , otherwise it's too top heavy. I think they carry it at towerhobbies.com if you want to check it out.:D

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom