gas tank repair

THREADLOCK

Mar 30, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I was given a 1976 Suzuki PE250. It runs great, I can't belive it was given to me.
I do have one small problem. There is a crack in the gas tank.
The tank is plastic and I was wondering if there is a good way to seal this crack. I was thinking JB weld.
Does anyone have any suggestions?? I am haveing a little trouble finding a new tank.

HAYSHAKER170

Nov 17, 2005
What's the difference, you probably won't be riding it anyway!! Just kiddin' buddy. Give me a call you got my number. :laugh:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Try a Clarke replacement tank. Repairing a plastic tank can be done, but it is one of the most difficult plastic repairs and most people give up and buy a replacement tank.
Might also try bikebandit.

HAYSHAKER170

Nov 17, 2005
Make sure you leave a little gas in the tank and you're smoking while you this, get a torch, heat a large flat blade screwdriver and melt the plastic with the screwdriver to fill in the crack.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
You can buy a tube of some plastic repair stuff from a hardware store. I would just drain the gas, clean the area good and jbweld it. We did it on my brothers old quad tank and it held up fine. Just give it a day or two to cure fully and you know you wont have leaks then.

THREADLOCK

Mar 30, 2005
Thanks Everyone

Thanks for the tips and opinions. I'm going to give repairing it a try first. I have alot of time and not alot of money. I can always buy another one.
Thanks for the help there Hayshaker. These guys don't know that you have barn burning experience, hence the smoking advice. hahahahahahahaha :nener: :nener: :nener:

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
How about a can of gas tank sealer? I think 3M makes it. I haven't tried it, but have heard it works great!

Rotor

THREADLOCK

Mar 30, 2005
I've used the gas tank sealer on a steel tank and the stuff is great. This tank is plastic. I'm going to melt the outside of the crack, file it a little to create a groove then fill that with JB weld or Seal all. I'm now just interested to see if this will work.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…