Gaskets mandatory?

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
I've pulled the clutch and flywheel covers (97 KDX 220) to check out the clutch etc. I've got gaskets on order but I really need to race a H/S this Sunday.

If I don't get the gaskets in time, will Yamabond work? Something better?

Thanks.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
if the gaskets arent ruind, put some of that liquid gasket stuff on them, then reseal it. Then if I was you, id replace it when I got my new gaskets.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
On Some bikes if you dont use gaskets youll put operating tolerances out of spec and can cause damage most notably the kickstarter ratchet assy, trans center cases and such. If you used just Yamabond on a KTM the kickstarter would work but when you got to 50mph at the curly fern enduro the ratchet would bind up andbreak offthe cases and leave a big welt on your leg like it did to my frined Chris who was trying the blue goo method . It coist him almost $800. and a long push back tothe pits. Call another shop or mail order overnite , the little brown UPS truck goes everywhere these days. Good Luck

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Wow!! That's a close tolerance indeed! Especially for something like a kickstarter for christsakes! A gasket runs to, what, 10 thou ?

personally, I've always used permatex on the joints mentioned in the original post, as well as several others such as the exhaust and the powervalve covers. Crikey, I even used it for a base gasket once, although I do prefer the proper gasket for that particular application...

Cheers,
Andrew

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I would think it work in a bind>

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Gaskets showed up-panic over. Thanks for responses.

Another reason not to go Orange.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…